cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change the timeout setting on Scheduled Tasks.

bob_zins
Helper

I need to increase the time-out for the Daily report generation and the weekly DB maintenance.  I also nee t change the start time for these tasks.  Where do I change these settings.

3 REPLIES 3

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

It's a slippery slope when you start changing the timeout for the reports&maintenance tasks.

If it's an occasional oneoff you can always nudge in Diagconsole and make it complete, but once it completes I would go and tidy up my Server IP Ranges or do something about the amount of details my CAS store (alternative is buying new or more hardware)

It used to be quite easy to change the timeouts before, so easy that I had a customer who had set his maintenance task to 16 hours (all is forgiven now (smile) ) which stalled the CAS so much that the data was always a day old.

To be honest, I'm not sure where the setting is hidden these days but you can always tweak the TASK XML files Task Scheduling Overview manually. Expect the next service pack to overwrite your changes though....

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

It is of course better to figure out why, and fix the root cause of the timeouts than just increasing them.

If nothing has changed recently (no new AMDs, software services, increase of retention/baselines etc.) then the DB server is probably slow for some reason.  Sort that out.

If there's been an increase in the traffic being monitored, or more services being monitored, increased retention etc. you may need to investigate the scalability of the platform.

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Bob,

I think you have figured it out already with Support.

It's in C:\program files\Compuware\ADS\config\tasks-100-hcbs.xml file, timeout property.

The offsetTime parameter that allows to change the time when task is executed usually should not be changed especially if the change "crosses" midnight.