cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the generic (with transactions) analyzer count operations?

tameem2
Inactive

Hi All,

I am trying to monitor a CORBA application with DCRUM. I understand that DCRUM does not have an analyzer for CORBA and therefore using the generic (with transactions) decode is the next best option.

Are you able to advise how the generic (with transactions) analyzer count operations and response times for protocols that it does not have a specific analyzer for (i.e,  CORBA)? 

Many thanks,

Tameem

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tameem,

The generic (with transactions) analyzer counts the operation based on the TCP packets, such as sync and Act to determine the operation, it means one TCP session is one session. it doesn't care about the payload of the packets.

Thanks,

Jason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tameem,

CORBA being a communication platform for exchanging objects from different application architectures might often use persistent TCP sessions to save time needed to set up new session. In such cases there will be very few TCP sessions started per day and consequently very few operations reported by the generic-with-transactions analyser. Every TCP session is reported as a separate operation for which the SYN-SYN/ACK-ACK phase is a starting point and a FIN packet is the ending. Generic-with-transactions in addition to basic measures like bytes, packets, retransmissions or RTT (AckRTT) provides TCP related measures. These measures include TCP errors and ZeroWindowSize events but also those time related like operation time break down by server and network or Throuhput.

In general generic-with-transactions is capable of producing measurements which do not require analysis of packet payload above TCP/IP header.

Jarek Jatczak

r_muresu
Participant

Hi Jarek, 

I join the discussion. a question : what is the difference between the analysis module Generic with transaction and the analysis module TCP ?