Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Monitor DB Name ("module") for SQL Monitored Query

matt_lewis
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hey Community,

I have a client that is not able to see all of the desired SQL DB's with the basic software service we set up. It appears that the DBs may be in the dreaded 'All other' bucket, as these DBs are used much less often than other DB's in their environment. We have set Query Reporting to 'Detailed Reporting (All Operations Reported)', but as you can see below, we are still getting 'All other' modules:

I have been trying to play around with the 'Monitored Query section of the software service, but unfortunately the documentation on this section is a bit vague. What I am trying to achieve is monitor any query that is destined for the "IMSIS" or the "ISAC" DB's (modules). I have configured regular expressions to try to grab this, but they are not successful: (I realise RegEx's are not recommended, so if you have a better solution, I'm happy to hear it!)

I have tried using the 'Exact' radio button, with just the DB name (IMSIS), and then use 'Module' for the 'CAS hierarchy task name', but this combo does not seem to work. As mentioned, I cannot seem to find any doco on how to properly use this section, so I am just using best guesses at this point.

Any assistance/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

2 REPLIES 2

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Matt, are you sure the database names you want are actually in the traffic? There's cases where the names won't ever be transmitted in the traffic.

e.g. a DB user logs on onto the server and just accepts the default database defined on the server, rather than explicitly setting it with a 'USE <db_name_here>' clause.

Hey Chris,

I'm not at all sure either way, and unfortunately, neither is the app owner. I was hoping to get a rule set up in the SS definition looking for the DB's, and if they didn't return, then I would have a better idea.

With your suggestion above, would it be possible to have DB's with three different names still operating at the 'default DB' (maybe per-user)? I ask, because we are 'missing' three DB names on this server.

Thanks,

Matt