cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the operation attributes to work with XML over HTTPS

bcox2
Organizer

I am trying to pull a xml tag value to help identify specific traffic. I have tried a few different configuration options and nothing is working. Hoping someone will see what I am doing wrong.

Here is the screenshot of the config

Here is the sample of the xml:

<IncludeList>

<Include xsi:type="GroupBenefitDetails"/>

</IncludeList>

Thanks,

Brian

9 REPLIES 9

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

To clarify, it appears you're after teh value of an attribute of the "include" tag. Not the value of the tag "IncludeList"

I'd try settings the tag parameter to "include" because it's the "include" tag you want to search in, not the "IncludeList" tag, also beware XML is case sensitive (just noting the difference in your example being "IncludeList" and "include")

bcox2
Organizer

I have actually tried include as well as include list. I have considered case, but the example I have is from the app team. I will verify with them Monday that they have me the correct case for the values. Aside from that does the setup look correct?

Thanks,

Brian

wojciech_kurek
Inactive

Brian,

For the wildcard pattern to work, the tag must be a simple text tag without any child elements (like <Tag>text</Tag>). This restriction does not apply to regex patterns.

If you just want to report the occurence of the "GroupBenefitDetails" attribute you can use the following configuration:

• Set tag to Include
  • Select isRegex as the pattern type
  • Use the following pattern: \(GroupBenefitDetails\)

Also, if you want to see the actual value in the Operation Attribute dimension (rather than just having the occurence count) be sure to check the "Report attributes value" checkbox.

Wojtek.

@Wojciech Kurek,

Thanks for the feedback, but when I try to use that pattern it does not match when I test it. I tried just using (GroupBenefitDetails) and that matched inn Test, but I am not getting anything in the Operation Attributes field on the report.

The Operation attributes metric fields appear to be expecting a count value will they show the actual text captured if that option is selected, or do I need to look for a different dimension or Metric field to get that value.

Thanks,

Brian

Sorry, I forgot to mention that unlike in the HTTP decode, the textual values of operation attributes are available only on ADS, CAS will only report occurrence counts. The behavior has been unified in the 12.4.5 release, with the new XML/SOAP decodes sharing capabilities with HTTP.

Are you getting non-zero values in the operation attribute metrics?

bcox2
Organizer

I have ADS on and am not seeing any values I am also getting no counts in the cas data.

wojciech_kurek
Inactive

Do you have any XML operation definition and get named operations on the report? Operation attributes won't be reported unless the XML document in question is reported as a named operation.

bcox2
Organizer

Yeah I see the operation in question. I just cannot get the tag identified so I get the operation attributes information.

In such case I would recommend submitting a support ticket and providing your configuration, zdata files and a sample of the request and response XML documents (e.g. exported from Wireshark).