cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to map a custom name/text/ID to a Client IP Address

raffaele_talari
Inactive

Hi there,

Id' like to share with you a short article showing you how to "map" some custom text (i.e. Custom Username, ID, custom names etc.) to a Client IP Address or, more likely, to a list of Client IP Addresses.

It's really simple to achieve that, but this works only for versions > 12.4.10:

First thing you need to do is to create a file called "useripmap.properties" in the CAS_INSTALL_DIR/CAS/config inserting your mappings using the following rule:

actualusername=customtextyouwouldliketoshow

An example of useripmap.properties would be:

10.10.10.1=ThisIDIsMuchBetter
10.10.10.2=ImthecoolestID
10.10.10.3=NoonecanbeatmyID
10.10.10.4=Easypeasy

And yes, you're done, you don't even need a CAS restart..Just wait a couple of monitoring intervals and your information should come up in the "User name" dimension ready to be used in your awesome reports.

Hope that helps.

Ciao,

Raff

PS: before creating the file and applying these rules, please check that the actual user name is matching and you don't have any aggregation in place like "Client from ..."

3 REPLIES 3

raffaele_talari
Inactive

Thanks to @Miguel M. for pointing me out to the useripmap.properties file.

Karolina_Linda
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and tips for DC RUM users!

Keep calm and build Community!

benjamin_johnso
Organizer

Hi Raff, this looks really good! I have one question though, & actually it would really help with our user counting!

We have a lot of SNAT addresses from the entry point, which talk to the next tier. When traffic runs, we see a lot of unique users, because the SNAT addresses send keep-alive messages to the next tier. Because there is no username, or x-forwarded-for header in these no-op tcp requests, it looks like each SNAT address is being counted as a user.

We have PVU mode enabled, with the option to count all users from all IP ranges (0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255). Because the username is detected (we can break down by actual username in on-demand, or in ADS) - and then it gets aggregated for the main CAS reports - will this file still work?

Also, is it available in 12.4.10 or only versions after that?

Thanks

Ben