cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to understand Processing Status Report on CAS?

ymaya
Contributor

Hi There,

We often experience CAS processing delay. When I look at the Processing Status report,  there is some confusion here.

Example:

From Delay Chart, I see zdata processing has 1 hour 42 min max deplay on 01/21.

delay.jpg

From zdata processing chart, I see max processing time just 5 minutes.

zdata.jpg

We all know zdata file will be generated every 5 minute. So what's the actual delay on that date?  How can I use those chart to narrow down the reason of delays.

Thanks

YC

6 REPLIES 6

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

YC,

I believe that your first chart is aggregated to 1 day resolution that causes this.

When you troubleshoot sample delay remember that:

• delay most often comes from processing time > 5 minutes,
  • in most of the cases you should concentrate on zdata files,
  • when troubleshooting zdata processing time check if:
    • it depends on the time zdata file is downloaded from AMD (autogegotiation is recommended to be set on CAS-network-AMD communication interfaces),
    • it depends (changes according to) to number of records inside the zdata

• when you exclude network problems and increase on number of records in zdata you best friend may become log\server.log,
  • if you could not find there any particular reason for long processing of zdata by CAS contact support but first exclude that bottleneck if poor performance of CAS' DB using CAS Benchmark Tool.
  • if you decide to contact support for a situation that CAS itself processes zdata slowly (but network and SQL are fast) it would be very helpful if you could hit http://CAS/DiagConsole#/diag/DUMP+STACK page during slow processing as many times as you can and grab ExportConfig.zip.

Also remember that you can edit default diagnostic reports/charts, modify them and save as your own.

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Hi Yc

To get more insight into what the reason is you can explore the DMI and create additional graphs that can answer question such as number of files, files size, or processed records.

And as Adam says - the benchmark tool (don't run this during production hours and warn the SQL people that it will trigger alerts) will give you a better understanding whether you need to upagrade your SQL.

In release 12.3.1 it's very easy to add nodes to a farm/cluster to share the load as well so recovering from your current state doesn't have to be complicated.   

ymaya
Contributor

Hi Adam and Ulf,

Thanks for response. Those are really helpful.  

Are you sure http://<CAS>/DiagConsole#/diag/DUMP+STACK  is the correct link? I tried it and got 404 error.

Regarding Processing time report, I have three questions here,

1. The Average/Total and Max file processing time  are same. Is that means the time process one file, or all files? How can I know the processing time for all files?
  2. If the above time means total processing time for all zdata files,  they are all below 4 minutes, where is the delay from?
  3. Why this report count 2 file processed for one file from a AMD? You can see I list zdata files by file name. The column file processed show "2" for each file.

Thanks

YC

YC,

Ad.0. You should replace <CAS> with your CAS' IP or host name to make it work.

Ad.1. It's the same as I believe the resolution on your report is 1 period, averages are useful only if you aggregate bigger time range using resolutions other than 1 period,

Ad.2. It may come from the other file types processing. Can't tell more w/o server.log.

Ad.3. AMD serves one "native" zdata and the other from NFC process. You can count it as one.

Adam, 

For  http://<CAS>/DiagConsole#/diag/DUMP+STACK, I did use cas ip for <CAS>. It just can go <CAS IP>\diagconsole, then 404.

Thanks

YC

What is the IP and port that your CAS is running on? It should be visible in the browser when you use the CAS ...