cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V

marco_mannucci2
Inactive

Is a Hyper-V environment supported to run a CAS, (DCRUM) environment? Or is only a VMware environemnt supported for virtualisation?

6 REPLIES 6

Erik_Soderquist
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

As far as I know, CAS/ADS/CSS/RUM Console should all work fine in a Hyper-V environment; processing and memory will be the main concerns there, as VM managers often starve guest machines for resources.

-- Erik

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

I've customers that run HyperV, the biggest problem is the dyanmic memory feature of HyperV doesn't play nice with java apps in guests (CAS/ADS/RUMC/CSS are all Java). Best to use static allocated memory.

Theo_hofstee
Newcomer

We know that there are problems with Hyper V and Java the bigger question is Dynatrace actively working with Microsoft to sort it out? As the majority of the worlds corporate workload is on Microsoft Operating systems and the capex and opex savings of Hyper V over VMWare are becoming to high to ignore what is the road map from Dynatrace to get this sorted out and resolved.

While Development and Product Management are continually working to improve DCRUM on all supported environments, Dynatrace does not control Java, and so a Java specific issue is much more likely to be resolved by those that do control Java.

-- Erik

john_fischer
Inactive

I'm concerned with the responses regarding Java as the rest of the world is moving away from it (I know IBM is), as Chrome don't support it which is a issue for us within Aus DoD! I recommend that this question be moved to DCRUM product ideas as it is what we required.

@John F, Java requirements on the client side (browser) are being removed, the UI elements that required Java plugin are gone (in 12.3+). Chrome is a fully supported browser and has been for many releases.

Java is still required on the back end, and Java as a back end technology isn't going anywhere.