cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Idle Time - a health indicator or statistics distruptor ?

gilgi
Mentor

Hi,

On several applications (most of them are web based) we see that the most of the slowest operations consist of (mostly) idle time. This, on one hand, makes the operation times longer and affect all statistics and on the other hand, as I understand, may suggest that the client itself is doing something locally.

I'm interested to hear your experience and best practices to better display these statistics and indicate problems.

Gil.

5 REPLIES 5

Krzysztof_Ziemi
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Gil,

Idle Time is generally not a performance indicator. It is more of a context descriptor - it tells that the client waited with sending subsequent page hits requests, but from the vantage point of the DC RUM (network probe) we can't tell what was the client doing. It might have been javascript processing in browser, it might have been 3rd-party content loaded by the client (or content from servers that the AMD is not monitoring).

The key value of this metric is to make the Network Time measurement more precise. As you know, in pre-12.3 releases we were calculating Network Time as a difference between the Page Load Time and the Server Time. "Calculated" is the key word here: AMD measures PLT and ST, but not the NT which is calculated later. In 12.3 release the AMD measures the PLT, the ST and the Idle Time (and the Other Time which are periods where parallel activities were occurring). So the NT calculation is more precise now.

There is a training module on the APMU that explains the differers and the value in more details: Measurements 10 Minutes | Last updated December 2014

tarjei_utnes
Organizer

What does Idle time typically mean in Oracle Database traffic?

Really interesting what mean idle time in Oracle Database. Sometimes at client we see very long idle time on some operations.

albert_yunarto
Newcomer

Hi Tarjei,

Idle time in Oracle Database traffic can mean that your App Server takes some time to process the database queries. I saw this pattern a few times in some of my customers, the "client" from Oracle Database is usually the App Servers itself. Therefore, idle time in this case is the time taken for the "client" which is the app server in this case to process the response from the database (need validation from others on this).

Thus when high idle time in Oracle Database is coupled with high server time in the App Server, you can isolate the App Server to be the fault domain.

This sounds valid to me. A good point that Albert makes is that the 'client' to a backend server is usually another server. 'Client' is just defined as the machine that initiates communication.