cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing AMD 2017 Without Using Kickstart

Hello,

Our Linux sysadmins comply with strict policies, regulations and best practices for building and maintaining servers running RHEL. Therefore, they are not able to manage our AMDs.

If you have had to deal with this issue with your sysadmins or netsec team, how did you handle it?

Is there a resource detailing how to install the AMD without using a kickstart file, AND describes what RHEL packages are being disabled/uninstalled AND, why?

Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

4 REPLIES 4

john_leight
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Documentation on installing Linux without the quickstart is available here.

I'm not sure we can address why every individual package is required. Kickstart installation keeps the number of packages down to what is needed to compile and run the AMD. Extraneous packages are not installed in the effort to keep the AMD as efficient and on-task as possible.

Perhaps downloading the AMD with kickstart file, from the downloads page, to review the settings is an option.

@John L.

I guess a better question might be, what would happen on the AMD if all RHEL packages were installed? I could give my sysadmins the kickstart file to view on what Dynatrace doesn't want installed, and let them decide why it needs to be.

Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

The kickstart file lists the packages to install, and packages that should be removed if they were installed. What will normally happen is that kickstart files will be merged. They are, after all, just text files that tell the RHEL installation what to do (partitioning, package installation, user creation etc).

Please be sure to review the link about some partitioning and disk space requirements.

Extraneous packages that are installed may impact server performance. X, KDE, Gnome, FTP server are examples of packages that are not necessary on the AMD but could impact performance or security. If packages cause extra overhead the AMD will reach traffic capacity limits sooner than if those packages were not installed. Additional AMDs may be needed sooner due to the package overhead.

An example - DCRUM does not install RHEL firewall by default. Some clients require a firewall be installed on the OS. As long as the exceptions are added for CAS/ADS/AMD/Console communication it can be added. By default it is not added by our kickstart file.

hmor3
Inactive

Hello Genesius,

You can definitely go ahead with an RHEL version installed by your linux Admin and add a list of missing packages .

You can have a list of all AMD options via below command

sudo ./upgrade-amd-amdos7-x86_64-ndw-17-00-04-0031-b001.bin ---help

Command to check for missing dependencies :

sudo ./upgrade-amd-amdos7-x86_64-ndw-17-00-04-0031-b001.bin --test-system

Above command will check for all missing dependencies and provide you a list of all missing packages.

You can simply provide the list of missing packages to your Linux sysadmins.

You can also look at kickstart file but it will involve a manual effort.

I suggest you go with above command and get an output(i am attaching a sample output also with this post)

Additionally as John already mentioned , you need to review the partiotining and disk space requirements before getting RHEL installed from your Linux sysadmin.

dcrum-amd-installation-prerequisites.txt

Thanks

Himanshu Mor