cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Installing Service Packs - Do we need sa user password?

davide_diana2
Inactive

Hello,

I will perform an Upgrade form 12.3.5 to 12.3.8

I am trying to do it on my Virtual Machine.

During the installation process of the CAS, the wizard promt me to specify an administrator user It suggests "sa" user giving you the possibility to type the password.

Well, I know I can just choose to skip this step and go ahead but I have tried to type a "fake" user (it was not defined on the DB) with a fake password and...the setup process worked fine!

So my question is: why the wizard asks you that sa password if it is not used at all during the installtion process?

Thank you,

3 REPLIES 3

matt_evanson1
Organizer

I believe the SA is requested if you choose to change the SQL server memory settings during the upgrade. That is why most people skip it since we don't utilize that feature.

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

If you haven't checked in "Use all available RAM during database upgrade" check box, the user and password you provided doesn't matter:

Have you?

Hi,

Any risk for using this feature "Use all available RAM during database upgrade"?

Was considering enable this due to CAS upgrade taking too long, and have to rollback.

And does this have be a sa account to window & mssql, or just a "sa privilege" account for mssql will do?

Best wishes, Yee Heng