cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration of external data into DCRUM

toni_kaemmerer
Newcomer

Hello,

while it is possible to view "third-party metric data" injected via an Enterprise Synthetic Agent Manager in a CAS (see https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...), I could not find any possibility to do the same with DCRUM.

To be clear, my questions about this are:

- Is there an API to inject third-party data into DCRUM to make it visible in a CAS?

- Is it possible to place the non-AMD-generated content in the
data directory of an existing AMD, so a CAS would pull this data? If yes, to which file (hpdata, transdata, ...) should the content then be added?

- Is it possible to add some data directly to the CAS or AMD database? If yes, is there any documentation about the database schema to figure out how to insert?

Thanks for any suggestions.

- Toni

2 REPLIES 2

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Toni,

I'm not aware of any supported means to inject data into the CAS directly.

Depending on what type of data you want to add, the method you've linked is good for event based data, I've considered creating a SNMP trap receiver to do just this, I've got some proof of concept code, but the customer decided not to go ahead with that plan so I never finished it.

If you wanted to add network metrics from a router/switch the proper way is via NetFlow and an AMD set up to collect NetFlow data.

The labs have always strictly recommended against trying to do anything directly with the CAS database - even for reading data, as the schema may change at any time and isn't publicly documented - official method for querying data is via CAS DMI or REST API.

toni_kaemmerer
Newcomer

Chris,

thanks for your answer. I'll give the NetFlow a try, even if I don't have network-specific metrics.

- Toni