cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone running DC-RUM in Azure? Getting insight into SAP running in Azure?

marc_farron
Newcomer

7 REPLIES 7

Krzysztof_Ziemi
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi,

DC RUM can be run in Azure, the challenge is elsewhere: how to acquire a copy of the network packets that DC RUM monitoring will receive? There's no straightforward answer to this question in Azure.

There are solutions to that challenge in AWS - Ixia and Gigamon both provide virtual tap solutions for AWS. But for Azure there's no support, yet. I've heard that Gigamon is developing virtual tap for Azure, but that's all I know.

An alternative solution might be a DYI setup based on Linux ipables-based packet copying and forwarding - but it requires a Linux-based firewall (where packets will be copied) that might be configured by the user, on iptables level (read: root privileges). I'm not sure it's applicable in your case, probably not, because of iptables requirement (there's no equivalent on Windows).

Best regards

Hi Kris,

I'm with Kadima Consulting, a dynatrace partner. We have a client that recently migrated their SAP to Azure. I am now working with Ixia (we hare also Ixia and Gigamon partners) and their CloudLens solution. I think this should work.

Will keep you posted.

marc_farron
Newcomer

Hi Kris,

I'm with Kadima Consulting, a dynatrace partner. We have a client that recently migrated their SAP to Azure. I am now working with Ixia (we hare also Ixia and Gigamon partners) and their CloudLens solution. I think this should work.

Will keep you posted.

Any update on this?

torsten_granli2
Contributor

Marc F.: Did you have a follow-up to this? I am kind of curious to hear about CloudLens.

bill_scheuernst
Organizer

This was brought up yesterday by one of my colleagues as my company is looking at possibly using Azure in the long run. Is there anything in the pipeline to support Azure from a DC Rum perspective? My colleague was also asking about virtual networks as well and how Dynatrace would support that.

From the purely DC RUM perspective, Azure support means ability to run the software in Azure (possible today) and guidance on scalability and best practices (we will gather these as we'd see more implementations).

The key here is possibility of acquiring network packets from the apps that run in Azure and feed a copy of the packet stream to the DC RUM's probe. This capability is delivered by Ixia CloudLens (available today). Gigamon has similar solution.

So I'd say that we are ready and when action planning would be starting, we will need to involve Ixia to scope the CloudLens companion that enables packet acquisition for the DC RUM.

Best regards