cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Launching IE11 in Private Mode

richard_woolham
Newcomer

Hi all,

I am trying to launch IE11 in Private Mode in ES - I am tantalisingly close.

Using LaunchApp "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -private" works and delivers what I need, but then the script waits 30 seconds until application 'iexplore -private.exe' exists (which it obviously doesn't, as that isn't a real .exe)

Therefore, I think I need to skip the validation on the step or launch the app in a different way?

I could launch IE in a different way, enter private mode etc - but that creates other problems.

Many thanks - any help appreciated.

Richard.

3 REPLIES 3

yuriy_look
Inactive

@Richard W.

Hi Richard,

LaunchApp takes as a parameter
the fully qualified path to the executable, but nothing else. For your purposes you can use

LaunchAppWithParm "C:\Program Files
(x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", "-private"

Thank you,

Yuriy

benjamin_wright
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

100% what Yuriy said.

Alternatively you could also use VBA's Shell command to launch IE and then use one of the WaitFor... functions in the framework to determine when the window is ready.

Just a little clarification. LaunchAppWithParm will exit only once the application (in our case IE) displays an enabled window, maximized by default. So, the script can interact with the application right away. Shell also allows to stat the application maximized, even though there is no default behavior. But making sure that the script can interact with the application needs to be addressed separately.