cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring Beanstalk

I've been asked the question around how much RUM can monitor Beanstalk, and from looking at the information around how it communicates with its own proprietary protocol (here), i'm not sure if RUM can actually do much other than perhaps TCP, and as it's ASCII i'm not sure if TCP Generic + Conv will give much information above that?

Does anybody have any experience of attempting to monitor this or is it perhaps something that the universal decode would be able to wrap its head around?

(Currently I do not have any packet captures of traffic or similar but I may be able to arrange it).

Cheers,
Morgan 

2 REPLIES 2

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Without a trace it would be a purely academic question that you can answer with - maybe (smile)

There is so many iterations and alterations to "normal" way of communicating that it's more or les impossible to say what you can and can noot do with DC RUM.

Today it has generic capabilities for lesser common protocols but that doesn't stop you from succeding anyway.

You challenge is if there are actual transactions in your data stream and they need to be reconstructed in order to be recognized - in crude way you can say that's what the decodes do.

However - your reference to the "universal decode" is eluding to something that you might have spoken to some Compuware employee about. My suggestions is to get a trace file that you know contains the Beanstalk communication and perhaps also verify that you know what is happening during the trace, and take that to your favourite Compuware FTS and see what they can do.

Ah yes, you're right, the Universal Decode comment does come from conversation around things like this in the past, but not explicitly around Beanstalk.

I figured it was a longshot but had a distant hope that someone would have tried to do something with it at some point.

I'll see what I can do around getting a capture and pick it up with our contact in FTS (smile)