cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need an understanding on how is Synthetic data filtered from Real User data in the CAS

davisont
Guide

Hello,

A question was raised to me that I was not sure of how this works behind the scenes.  I have a Synthetic Backbone tier that is set to "Front End Tier", however, when I run a DMI report for Front End Tiers.  I don't see the Synthetic Backbone traffic listed here.   I don't want the Synthetic data mixed in with the Real User data.  However, I just am trying to understand how does the AMD differientiate Synthetic from Real User?

The reason I ask, is I have a report that shows strictly Synthetic Backbone Performance that shows data the whole day.  I also have a report that shows strictly Front End tier data for the whole day, but it is missing several hours of data due to now real users accessing the App.  

Thanks,

Tom

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Tom

By default traffic that is monitored by the AMD is tagged as synthetic based on the user-agent string in the HTTP Header. The defaults are 

KTXN
Envive
Gomez
Keynote
Mercury
SiteScope

APM Synthetic Agent, 

These are all based on simple text searches withing the string. For more information please see Configuring Synthetic Agents, Browsers, Operating System and Hardware Recognition

By default synthetic traffic is not reported on the AHS.

I am a little confused on why you have a Tier for Synthetic Backbone. Best practice is that a tier is a logical Infrastructure tier in you environment i.e. Load Balancers. Real and syntehtic users will access the same tier of an application.

Regards

Alasdair 

davisont
Guide

Thank you very much Alasdair for your quick response.  That makes sense to me.  For the Synthetic Backbone tier, I believe this is an out of the box tier that cannot be modified.

Thanks again and Have a Good Day.

Tom

Hi Tom

Sorry i misunderstood you on the Tier front. I though you had created your own. That tier is specifically for Backbone data which has been imported from the DPN. Traffic detected by the AMD will never be assigned to this tier. As per the note below.

If your CAS is configured to receive data from Dynatrace Performance Network, the Synthetic Backbobe tier automatically displays on the Tiers report. The Synthetic Backbone tier presents measurements for all transactions originating from assigned DPN accounts.

I am not certain as it has been a while since i configured it but i believe synthetic traffic that is detected by the AMD is exempt from being added to data center tiers.

Regards

Alasdair