cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

No network performance data even though we have other performance data

Christopher_Cha
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

To the best of my knowledge, network performance is calculated based on loss rate, RTT and realized bandwidth (if enabled). However a customer just sent me a report that showed that some of the software services are not showing that metric (seen as "-") even we have other metrics available. As attached is the screenshot; You'll notice that some software services has requests, application performance, operation time with breakdown, loss rate, RTT and so on... Just no network performance.

Any reason why this is happening? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Krzysztof_Ziemi
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

There is a cut-off threshold for RTT below which it is not taken into calculations of the Network performance. It is 1 ms or something like that (I don't remember off the top of my head). It means that any network transmission which occurred when RTT is low enough, is treated as being so fast that calculating network performance makes no sense - network influence to the transmission was so low that we cannot reliably measure it.

TechCom team will append documentation on the https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DCRUM124/Configuring+thresholds+for+network+performance+calculationspages, explaining the cut-off thresholds.

Thanks for the response! I see, I guess the threshold could be even lower than 0.1ms (some Software Services with >0.5 ms E2E RTT still got network performance calculated). By the way, the threshold is only based on server or client or both RTT?

shivashish_pati
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

Hello,

Are they on the same site? ( Client and server on the same site). I don't think it calculates the Network Performance in that case.

Regards,

Shiv

Hi Shiv,

IIRC network performance will still be calculated even if the client and server are on the same site, since DCRUM takes into account of transferred bytes, RTT, loss rate and optionally bandwidth for any bi-directional traffic between two entities. The key here is that DCRUM must recognize the traffic and also, as Kris mentioned, over the RTT threshold... 😃