cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Capture on RUM AMD via Linux

mprobus
Participant

How can I do a packet capture from Linux on one of our AMDs? I tried running tcpdump, but when I try to capture traffic on one of our capture ports, it says that no packets were captured. If I run the same command on the primary NIC port, it successfully captures the data. Therefore, it appears that the capture port configuration is blocking the tcpdump. I would like to run the command outside of the Smart Capture.

tcpdump -w /tmp/captureToSend/test.pcap -i ens1f0

7 REPLIES 7

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Please go to RUM Console -> Tools -> Recorded traffic and use record functionality there.

Is the packet capture inside the console before or after the data is filtered? Basically, I'm trying to verify whether we are getting data from a specific IP address.

After filtering.

Okay. Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm trying to find a way to capture it before filtering to see if the IP address is actually hitting the server.

mprobus
Participant

I tried the custom driver option and I keep getting a syntax error. So, I tried the native driver, but it still doesn't collect any data.

grzegorz_sulest
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

If you are using customized driver then you should use tcpdump(nfdump if using HS) commands from within the rcon console under linux:

Some useful links below:

Capturing Packet Traces on AMD

nfdump command

RTM console (rcon)

Thank you. This is what I was looking for.