cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Performing user lookup in a different location or Decode Base64

kristof_renders
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi,

I hava a client who has the Base64 Basic Authentication in the HTTP header field. Lots of free tools online allow you to decode it without a problem.

Can DC RUM do user recognition on this field? So decode it and use the first bit of the <username:password> combo as the username?

Alternatively, can DC RUM be configured to look up users in a dictionary based on a certain key? We could then put all the Base64 keys in a file and then match them up that way.

I know it is a long shot but worth trying 🙂

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Kristof

6 REPLIES 6

kristof_renders
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Just about to answer my own question:

Used a user recognition policy to extract BasicAuthentication.

The problem is, that this is only available for HTTP, and the traffic is SOAP.

Could this become available for SOAP over HTTP as well in a future?

Adam_Marcinkows
Dynatracer
Dynatracer

Hi Kristof,

I am glad you found what you have been looking for.

Currently we only support HTTP for Basic Authorisation (selectable from a EUE console). I have reached to development but currently there are no plans to support authorization tags on other analysers than HTTP.

If you think this would be a useful addition to DC RUM than I would recommend creating enhancement request through customer portal.

Many Thanks

Adam Marcinkowski

jari_ak
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

Kristof,

Did you try to recognize the SOAP actions using the HTTP decode? Obviously you wouldn't get SOAP errors etc, but in many cases we were able to report on either SOAPAction in the header or the URL itself and then have access to all HTTP features

Regards,

Jari.

kristof_renders
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Jari,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I was never able to test this due to time constraints. This does seem like a viable solution however.

Cheers,

Kristof

gael_lahaye1
Participant

Hi,

I would be interested to try Jari's solution.

How can I extract the SOAPAction to make it appear next the username in the DMI?

Regards,

Gaël

janet_zheng
Inactive

In 12.1+ version, you can define a user policy and configure "Authorization:.Basic.(.*)" as regular expression to extract base64 content from HTTP header. Then add two transformer, the first one is decoder base 64, the second one is Text Search with match end set to ":"., last please configure session id as well.