cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

RUM Console Version Control

luis_ramirez
Inactive

Hi all,

I have a client who has a large number of apps to monitor and they would like to have multiple people working on deploying the monitoring. If two people were to work on the RUM console simultaneously and then publish their changes one after the other, would the second person overwrite the changes made by the first? Would the changes merge? 

Thanks,

Luis

6 REPLIES 6

kyle_kowalski
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

I believe the changes would overwrite each other as the users could be working on the same space and I know the RUM console does not have a merge function, however this sounds like a great RFE to be able to have it act more like a GIT request being able to select what merges.

harshal_pujari
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Luiz,

If two people work on the RUM console at the same time, the changes would need to be published just once. I would suggest that one person saves the modified configuration and then the other person makes his/her changes and publishes only once.

There is an option to save the configuration changes.

Hope this helps.

-Harshal.

ulf_thornander3
Inactive

Does this apply to the RUM Console as a whole or just to the given Software Service?

What I'm thinking is if person A works on SS 1 and person B works on SS 2, then they "should" be able to edit and publish independently?

Or is the publish process wrting the whole XML file every time?

The scenario I was thinking is the first one you described. Person A works on SS 1 and person B works on SS 2 and they can edit and publish independently. No need to coordinate or know about the other person's changes.

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

RUM Console always sends entire applications.xml file to the AMD so only one person can do changes at the same time unless these changes are made on different AMDs.

matt_evanson1
Organizer

This is a huge problem in our environment. We monitor over 800 applications that constantly need care and feeding. Having to use the console one at a time is very inefficient.