cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

RUM Console shows 'Hardware Health' for only some devices some of the time?

matt_lewis
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hey guys,

I have had a question from one of our customers that I have come across at most DC-RUM installations that I have been at, and I figured it was about time to try to get a proper answer.  I believe the customer is on 12.2, but I have seen this in 11.x versions through 12.3.  From the customer:

Quick question – “Hardware Health” isn't showing up for a few of our AMDs in the RUM Console, do you know why that would be the case? The AMDs it’s not showing up on are physical and virtual.  It doesn't seem to be related to the version, either. Did a quick search on the Compuware community site but didn't see anything relevant. The AMDs seem to be functioning fine, otherwise.

I have been on a customer's site with 12 virtual AMDs (but I have seen the same behavior with physical AMDs), all built to the same spec, version, OS, and in the same subnet, and there are some that always seem to show Hardware/Process Health in the RUM Console, some that vary, and some that seem to always NOT show Hardware/Process Health in the RUM console.  ALL AMDs at any given time are functioning as expected in all other aspects, and when you look at AMD Statistics in the CAS, none of the AMDs have breaks in their health monitoring.

Any insight into why this data is shown in the RUM Console for only some devices some of the time would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Matt

9 REPLIES 9

sid_govindu
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Hi Matt,

Just to add to that, I found this to be the case at a client when they've disabled feed into a CAS. It came back on when they've enabled it.

Would be good to know more info on this.

Sid

Hi All,

I am seeing the same situation described.  Has there been any response on this question? 

brett_b2
Inactive

Hello all,

I am facing this same issue now. I have 40 identical AMDs, all virtual, and the host health shows up for about 35 / 40 of them. The AMDs haven't been upgraded and are 12.3.0 and everything else is 12.3.4. Any insight would be appreciated!

matt_lewis
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Looks like everyone has the same issue, but there's no explanation as to why this is the case!

thun
Advisor

Are there data for these AMDs in CAS reports?

Are the amdstatdata files generated on these AMDs?

We noticed some problems at one of our customers with directory rights for the amdstatmerger process on the AMD. After upgrading the AMD the rights are mixed up and amdstatdata files aren't generated anymore.

Hey Friederike,

I have two different scenarios - in both, the AMD stats don't appear on the CAS.

Either the AMDs do have CPU, Mem, and Disk in the RUM Console but all have the unknown threshold issue, or the AMDs have no stats.

Again, they're identical instances running on the same box, so I'm not sure why this happens.

Thanks for your response!

thun
Advisor

Hey Brett,

what did your amdstatsmerger.log on the AMD (/usr/adlex/log) says? any error messages?

Are amdstatdata files processed by the CAS?

Regards,

Friederike

Sorry, Friederike, I forgot to comment on that part.

Half of the amdstatdata files are processed - the 6 AMDs in the same data center, not the 6 from the other data center. But, some of the ones that were processed, in this data center, still show the unknown threshold issue in RUM and don't report on the CAS.

I checked the amdstatsmerger.log on an AMD with unknown threshold issues and there were no errors.

Regards,

-Brett

ok, if the amdstatdata files are created and processed it shouldn't be the same issue we had. Maybe it is the best way to open a support case for that.

Regards,
Friederike