cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RedHat 7.2 cannot recognize Intel 10Gb nic

sylvian_lam1
Organizer

Hi All,

Not sure if you met this before, my Intel card 10Gb NIC can't be recognized by RHEL 6.7 or 7.2. Understand it may be related to RHEL or Intel card, but I really need your help.

I've re-install the whole AMD using RHEL 7.2, the machine has 8 x 1GB port(chip set I350) and 2 X 10GB(chip set 82599ES) port, all Intel.
In "rtminst" , only those 1GB card were seen, AMD version is 12.4.10.

From the lspci output, I can see all NICs (10 total ports), but ifconfig only shows 8 x 1GB ports.

Thx

Sylvian

7 REPLIES 7

grzegorz_sulest
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

I encountered similar issue. All sniffing interfaces were missing in rtminst and ifconfig while present in lspci.

Seems
that is was some glitch on the OS level. After the box was rebooted all
returned to normal. All interfaces went up on the OS level and started showing in the
rtminst.

If that is possible please try rebooting the box first. If that will not resolve the issue open a support ticket.

sylvian_lam1
Organizer

Hi Grzegorz,

You're lucky. I reboot the system over10 times. I add the command "modprobe ixgbe allow_unsupported_sfp=1,1" at OS startup, now the OS can recognize the 2 x 10G nics. However,

The "rtminst" just says the following everytime I try to save the configuration.

ERROR: RTM sniffing device not found!

Restoring original configuration....

But the device list can show the 2 x 10G nics.

grzegorz_sulest
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Can you check what are the entries for 'net.device' in rtm.config? Are they all valid?

wojciech_kurek
Inactive

Sylvian,

The modprobe command which sets the allow_unsupported_sfp driver parameter does not apply to the customized driver. It's recommended that you use a supported SFP+ adapter - otherwise using the native driver is the only option.

Wojtek.

john_leight
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Ensure you are using Intel SFPs on the Intel Cards. I've run into the
situation where a non-Intel-branded SFP is used and there are interface
issues. Intel specs specifically call for the Intel SFP modules.

sylvian_lam1
Organizer

Thanks all your reply.

@ John & Wojciech. I think I'm hitting the issue you mentioned. I ordered Intel-X520 but they give me Intel 82599ES becuase they're using the same chip-set.

Do you mean except the chip-set used on the Intel card, SFP+ connector are required Intel branded?Could you help me to identify it is a non-Intel-branded SFP is used on an supported Intel card so that I can prove to hardware vendor and my management.

Currently I'm using native driver but I'm concerning the AMD performance if Native driver is used.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thx

Sylvian

I'm not aware of a way to see the SFP module information from the Linux OS. I believe the only way to determine the SFP make is by pulling it out of the card and physically inspecting it.