cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report in which you can select a value

jgarcianar
Contributor

Hi all,

About DCRUM, do you know if it is possible to create a report that receives a parameter or value and then shows the information that has been configured for that value? For example, I have a report that shows for one software service the metrics of availability, performance, affected users, etc., for a specific site, but I would like to give the user the option to choose that site without setting the report or filtering for it.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Juan

6 REPLIES 6

Hi Juan, I'm not sure if I'm getting it right. DMI enables to set filters based on:

* values passed in drilldown links (including links to the report itself - so called "self links")

* hardcoded / predefined values of filters

* filters applied by selecting a row in table, a tile, or an entry(-ies) in the filtering bar

* filters passed by report tabs, section dropdowns, or section buttons (which are special type of links actually)

I have recorded a few webinars last year with the release of DC RUM 2017: https://university.dynatrace.com/education/dcrum/...

I think you might find them useful.

If this does no answer your question - let's have a Zoom call to discuss that.

jgarcianar
Contributor

Thanks for help Sebastian,

I mean the next, for example, you have 10k sites and you want to graph several metrics about one site. I would like to type the name of the site in a blank field and the report/graph shows me the metrics of this unique site. I know I can do that filtering in the report edit, but it's slower and not all of CAS users have enogh knowledgements about how to do that... you know, many users only want to consult reports (that I have created), and the chance of filtering in this way could be very useful.

I don't know if I managed to explain myself.

Best Regards,

Juan

john_leight
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

It sounds like you want to use a DMI form.

From the report definition (viewing the report layout) select the display form option from the "..." option menu in the upper right. A form will be displayed that allows entering whichever dimensions are used in the report. Click on edit form to turn on/off the dimensions you wish the user to be able to enter.

The important step is to save the report while the form is displayed. When a user selects the report from their list the form will show up. They can enter the value (including wildcards "*") and click on display report. The report should display filtered on the entered value.

There are also two other ways:

- use filtering bar on your report - user can filter through the list of sites and select one or more (since 12.4.10)

- add question template to Casey natural language engine pointing to your report. We shipped 2017 with many example question templates, such as "What is network RTT for Gdansk site?" https://apm.gdn.demo.dynatrace.com/search?q=What%2... (demouser / demouser)

The natural language questions were devised to take over from them "form" reports.

We plan to enable a report-wide filtering input know from Dynatrace in the next release. It will replace the need for the form interaction intirely.

Please let me know if I can help you with the question templates.

Using the search filter and Casey will work great for general exploration to see what DCRUM knows about what is being searched for.

However there may be times where specific information needs to be returned, via the form entry method. We may not want users exploring too much, or have to filter too much information to see exactly what they need.

I can certainly see where the form will still be very useful moving forward.

Actually, if you provide users with question templates they can ask filling in blanks with their 'filter values' it is the same as form but with more modern user interaction. What is more important they don't have to learn the report names and you can exchange reports under the same question without them even knowing. Plus, since you can control which users have access to which reports the same question can be answered with different reports based on what kind of information they are asked to see.

The full sentences question templates only share they entry with the exploratory search feature. It's like Google Assistant - where the same input can be used for invoking actions with fallback to general search.

Also please note that by default guest users and those with limited access can only see number of results in the search but not the actual results.