cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOAP and Web, over https on the same server and port

regis_alves
Newcomer

Hi all,

is there a way to point two decodes(xml and ssl decrypt) to the same Server IP and port?

This is because i have SOAP and Web , both over HTTPS running on the same server and port and i need to work with the URL and webservices metrics.

tks

8 REPLIES 8

brian_terhaar1
Newcomer

Reginaldo,

Currently there is no way using the same AMD.  If you point the traffic to two separate AMDs, you can use a different decode on each to analyze the traffic.

Regards,

-Brian

regis_alves
Newcomer

Thank you  very much!

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Reginaldo

If you have another device like a NAT firewall or a loadbalancer that eiter alters the IP address or manages the SSL piece, then you can take the traffic in front of that device and define the traffic against those characteristics.

Even if you have the same traffic fed twice into  the AMD, there will be no de-duplication even though the payload is the same.

regis_alves
Newcomer

Hi Ulf, 

I'm already intercepting this same traffic on my public network. But the problem is that i need to have this same analisys on the two sides (before NAT and after NAT).

Thank you!

jacob_crawford
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Reginaldo,

One way to capture SOAP calls with the SSL Decrypted analyzer is by adding the SOAP service as a monitored URL with text/xml content type enabled. URL parameter can be set up to extract the operation name from the header or SOAP envelope. The web service calls would be reported in the CAS as HTTP operations in the following format:

https://host/SOAPservice?SOAPoperation

Also, instead of URL parameter you set up page name generation by Response rule (assuming you're using the new HTTP decode in version 12.x).

There are a few things to be cautiously aware of if using the above method:

• The SOAP calls will be reported together with the Web traffic for that software service and will impact metric values
    • For example, the large number of fast-executing SOAP calls will cause average response time for the web software service and/or application tier to appear extremely low
  • Often times a regex-based parameter must be used to scrape the header and extract the operation name, and this could have a negative impact on AMD performance
  • Reporting groups, custom tier definitions, and custom reporting may need to be used to separate the SOAP and Web traffic for accurate representation of application performance

If the SOAP doesn't behave with POST-200OK or GET-200OK style then some other method may be needed.

Regards,

Jake

josh_cooper
Inactive

Another thing to look out for - if you analyze SOAP as HTTP, then in cases where you have multiple SOAP requests within a single HTTP request, you'll inflate your page load times accordingly. 

For example, we were monitoring a load test with RUM at one company, and they were sending a ton of traffic - RUM didn't pick up anything.  We wait 5 minutes, nothing shows up, 5 more, nothing.  Finally he gives up and turns off the load.  Then RUM posts a single, 20 minute long transaction with 50k SOAP queries inside (that we can't see). (big grin)

jeff_edwards2
Inactive

Testing notifications for this question.

here is a comment, again, testing, sorry for the spam