cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Port Dimension Not Available with Historical Time Range?

genesius_jarom1
Organizer

Is there a way to have the dimension "Server Port" available when creating reports using a Historical Time Range?

Also, is there a list of dimensions that are no longer available in reports as the Time Range is modified?

I spent over 2 hours trying to figure out why I could not find the "Server Port" dimension when I was creating a new report. Ugh!!!!!

Thanks and God Bless,

Genesius

5 REPLIES 5

jean_louis_lorm
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hello,

You have it directly in the DMI. the list of the available DMI dimension depends of the resolution !

Open your DMI diemnsion list on resolution = 1 period, you will have all dimensions

Change the resolution to 1 day, the dmi will show only the dimension for this aggregated period.

Regards,

JLL

genesius_jarom1
Organizer

Thanks, @Jean-Louis Lormeau.

I was hoping to find a document online.

Besides that, while that is helpful that the dimensions list is right there as the report is being created, it is not helpful when a dimension disappears because the resolution is changed on a report that was previously created.

Why can't DCRUM use all the dimensions available?

I need to produce a historical table listing each server in a website tier, and I need to know which ports and how much data for each.

Thanks again and God bless,

Genesius

The data aggregation processes, by necessity exclude some dimensions in order to reduce the data size to allow the CAS to keep records long term without requiring massive databases.

The documentation (currently) lists all available metrics, but doesn't show which resolutions they are available at. Examination of the CAS config files (dmi_dataview-*.properties) you can glean this information.

Hopefully it'll be included in the documentation, and even better into the UI (again? I seem to remember in previous versions you'd get a warning message if a dimension or metric was going to be lost when changing resolution, now it is just silently is removed).

jean_louis_lorm
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hello,

Some dimensions and metrics are not available for 1 day resolution or more due to scalability reasons. (a software service with dynamic TCP port would load the CAS data and generate a lot of row sessiosn if the TCP port dimension was follow in the CAS for the long term)

In your case, Can you do a software service for each TCP port ? With this configuration, you could follow data of your TCP port for long term period...

Regards,

JLL

genesius_jarom1
Organizer

Thank you for your reply, @Chris Vidler.

I'm still in the learning stages of this product. It is so vastly different than the EcoScope 4.1 I managed nearly 10 years ago.

God Bless,

Genesius