cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Several Report Questions

genesius_jarom1
Organizer

I am new to DCRUM, but not application monitoring. I worked with EcoScope 4 for several years at a previous employer.

I went through the tutorials and documentation for 12.3, as well as reading the many of the 200+ postings with "DMI" in the title or body, and I need some assistance.

I need to create a report with the following parameters. Note: what is in the () is the path? at the top of the report page.

• Real-User Performance Overview (Tiers | Application = appname)
  • Data Center Tiers (Tiers | Application = appname)
  • from the Data Center Tiers - Servers for the Website Tier (Servers | Tier = Website   Application = appname)
  • Operations from those Servers (Operations | Tier = Website   Application = appname)
  • from the Operations - drill down on any operations where the Failures(total) > 0 (Tier = Website   Application = appname)
  • the list of Response Messages (Application Responses | Tier = Website   Application = appname   Service = All other   Module = All other   Task = All other   Operation = All other operations)

I will follow up with an image (once sanitized) to better explain what I am trying to do.

The other issues are:

• The range is from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday - Friday **Each is a separate day containing the 6 sections listed above).
  • All 5 days in one report saved as a PDF.
  • Emailed automatically every Monday morning.

Any ideas/direction is greatly appreciated/

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

18 REPLIES 18

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Genesius,

"The other issues" are fully configurable, so no problem with that, same as should be with last 3 bullets of the dimensions/metrics, but I'm not sure if I get what do you need in first 3 of them ...

Maybe I will wait for the screenshot ...

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Genesius - I (as Adam) am not quite clear what you want to achieve?

Do you want all of the above in a single report or are you looking for KPI's?

Do you want it to be 8 to 6 or do you want 24 hours?

genesius_jarom1
Organizer

@adam piotrowicz, @ulf thornander,

Attached is the screen shot (capture.jpg) of what I am trying to do. All 5 sections are for one day.

• Section 1 is the Real-User Performance Overview chart.
  • Section 2 is the Data Center Tiers table, which contains both a Website and Database tier.

Both of these sections are part of the standard the EUE Overview Applications reports.

• Section 3 is Servers table for the Website tier. We are only concerned with the Website tier for this report.
  • Section 4 is Operations table for the Servers in Section 3.
  • Section 5 is OPTIONAL. If the total number of Failures for any Operation is > 0 a table needs to be generated for each Operation listing the Response Messages for each Failed Operation.

The Time and Date Range for the report is Monday - Friday, from 8 am to 6 pm.

I duplicated (by hand, unless there is an easier way to copy section definitions and matrices between reports) Sections 1 - 4. The issues I am having are with configuring a IF-type logic to generate Section 5. Also, I could not find anything in the documentation to automate the emailing of this report with the Time and Date Range parameters mentioned above.

Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Hi Genesius.

Let's start from the back. Once you have your report, you simply go to the CAS start screen. There you chose "Reports" and then "DMI" and in the DMI category you choose "Load/Organzie". If you are on a fairly recen release you can there specify date/day and periodicity as well as users to be recepients. If you want to tune the content, you can even edit the XML code here.

For your question on how to combine the reports I'd either very elaborately look at how they are created and then duplicate them in a new report - or use your favourite editr and cut and paste the XML code to your hearts joy.

The last way is what our skilled Consultants usually do but they have some serious experience and know all the ins and outs, so I'd try to recreate. This would have the added benfit of getting you some thourogh understanding of how DMI works.

Thank you Ulf,

I checked out the "Load/Organize" link and it looks pretty straight forward. However, I have not tried any test reports yet. I would like to fix the other issues I am having first.

I will look into the XML, more as a learning tool, though I might use to write future reports. I worked with XML a while back. Maybe it'll come back to me. 🙂

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

Ulf,

Do you know where I can find an XML schema for the report definitions? I would like to try editing the XML, but need to know the other parameters that are available.

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

Actually - that's a very good question.

I haven't thought about loking for them myself but perhaps someone with deeper DMI knowledge would want to chip in here ( @Sebastian Kruk @Jean-Louis Lormeau ) ?

But if not I suggest you just open a ticket and ask for it since I don't think there are any trade secrets hidden there).

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Genesius,

So you have 4 sections already defined according to your needs. All we need to do is replicate for each week day, add conditional drill down for Failures and set everything for mailing.

1. You have to first duplicate first 4 sections 5 times (each time for each week day):

2. Set each section to be looking at desired day of week. The report will be generated on Monday morning so -3 days will stand for Friday, -4 for Thursday, etc (edit DMI report -> report definition -> Time tab):

3. To have data only for 8am-6pm time frame add such filter:
  4. Create separate DMI report with no filters that would match your Section5 and save it.
  5. Create conditional drill-down link that will be active only for Failures (total) > 0 condition:

it's not that the 5th section will appear conditionally as it works only for dimensions but it will allow you to drill-down to another report ...

6. Set the start and frequency of your report sending schedule.

7. You can also consider pre-loading the report so you won't have to wait for it too long on Monday.

How does it look?

genesius_jarom1
Organizer

Adam,

Thank you for the detailed information you provided. I did not get back to you sooner as our offices were closed yesterday for the holiday.

After working through the first 4 steps* I have a few issues.

Issue 1: Is there being a simpler way to enter Monday through Friday in the report definition, instead of have subtracting from the Shift unit? Today is Tuesday; therefore the Shift unit must be offset by an additional -1 for testing: -8 = Monday of the previous week; -7 = Tuesday, and so on. This needs to be changed back to -7 for Monday, etc., before the report goes live.

Issue 2: Due to the Shift unit being an entire day (24 hours), it appears to be overriding the Hour of the day dimension.

Here is what is appearing on the report.

Or, is it the Time range that is overriding the Hour of the day dimension?

If so, how does the report know to use the Hour of the day dimension instead of the Time range?

Issue 3: You wrote "5. Create conditional drill-down link that will be active only for Failures (total) > 0 condition: it's not that the 5th section will appear conditionally as it works only
for dimensions but it will allow you to drill-down to another report
..."

This report is being emailed as a PDF. There wouldn't be a drill-down to another report, especially when the customer prints it out.

Issue 4: This is a screen shot of viewing the report in the CAS.

This is from the PDF.

The chart is narrower. Though the Hour of the day is displayed as "8 | 9 |...", the line above it displays "9/1/15 12:29... - 9/2/15 12:29...". Why?

Is it just me or is the reporting capabilities lacking in this product?

*Note: I have not tried steps 5-7 at this time. I wanted to advise of the issues that I have found thus far.

Thanks again for all your help; it is appreciated.

God bless,

Genesius

Adam,

Apologies. I guess I cannot copy and paste images into the forum. I will send the images shortly.

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

Adam,

Here are the screen shots for my previous posting.

Issue 1:

Issue 2:

Issue 3: No previous images.

Issue 4:

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks and god bless,

Genesius

Sorry for delay,I will get back to you on Monday ...

Thanks Adam.

In the meantime I am putting up some images for the different Custom section time on the Time tab.

The chart with the Begin time based on Report time is the one I would like. However, without all of the blank space before 8 AM and after 6 PM.

Note: these screen shots were taken within 12 minutes of each other.

Enjoy your weekend.

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Genesius,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

Let me refer to your points:

Issue 1: I was convinced you are going to send the report on Mondays only, so fixed day shifts should not be a problem. But indeed looks like there is easier way: use Day of the week dimension and filter it on each section to different day of week. Also set the time range of the report to Full week that stands for previous full (Mon-Sun) week. See attached example. Of course please remove the custom time settings.

Issue 2: Does it still occur when using Day of the week dimension filter?

Issue 3: Right, that would be a problem. Then the only way is to replicate Section 4 and apply a filter to display only these rows of the section that have Failures > 0:

You can always set the section to be hidden if there will be no Failures and the section will be empty:

Issue 4: That is something I'm not aware of ... what is the version of your CAS?

@Adam Piotrowicz

Issue 1: The report will be run on Mondays. My comment was about testing. I created and tested the report for the first time on a Tuesday (Monday was a US holiday and we were closed).

GJ - the chart lines only contain the data I need, but the entire full week is displayed.

Also, the data in the table is slightly different from that produced manually.

Original.

From your changes.

mon-table-ap-settings.jpg

Have to run.

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

Edit the section with chart, go to Chart settings and turn off Use time range from DMI property:

Chart will get fit to the data.

genesius_jarom1
Organizer

Adam,

Disregard the issue with "Also, the data in the table is slightly different from that produced manually.

When I set the metric for the Hour of the day I included | 18, which meant I included an 11th hour.

That completes the Servers section, and am moving onto the Operations section. Will advise if I run into any issues.

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius