Skype for Business on premises : SIP trunk, SBCs, Avaya

gilles_portier
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

A customer
is asking us some questions about our capabilities to monitor Skype
for Business on Premise

1/ I found
some very good info there : https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/117516/monitoring-skype-for-business-with-dcrum-voip.html

but the customer
would like also to have extra info about :

• SIP
    Trunks
  • SBCs
    (Session Border Controllers
  • Avaya

What is the
impact of those technologies, or what is our support of those technologies ?

2/ He would
like also to get some stats from the servers : I'll propose the Dynatrace Monitoring
feature that allows to get stats via WMI or SNMP …

Thank you for your answers

3 REPLIES 3

mike_hicks
Inactive

In simple terms a SIP trunk replaces the need or have a traditional link to the PSTN connection, it is also used to take advantage of shared lines. Natively DC RUM doesn’t support or decode SIP trunking protocols, but there presence doesn’t impact at DC RUM ability to decode the VoIP traffic same AMD positioning applies with the probe needing to see that signalling set up and subsequent audio exchange.

SBCs are inserted into the signalling and/or media paths between calling and called parties in a VoIP call, predominantly those using SIP. SBC will terminate a received call and initiate a second call leg to the destination party. In technical terms, when used within the SIP , this is defined as being a back-to-back user agent (B2BUA). The effect of this behaviour is that not only the signalling traffic, but also the voice can be controlled by the SBC.

SBCs come in all kinds of shapes and forms and are used by operators and enterprises to achieve different goals. Actually even the same SBC implementation might act differently depending on its configuration and the use case. Hence, it is not easily possible to describe an exact SBC behaviour that would apply to all SBC implementations. However, in general one we can still identify certain features that are common for most of SBCs. For example, most SBCs are implemented as back-to-back user agent (B2BUA). A B2BUA is a proxy-like server that splits a SIP transaction in two pieces: on the side facing User Agent Client (UAC), it acts as server; on the side facing User Agent Server (UAS) it acts as a client.

So from a DC RUM perspective, DC RUM doesn’t provide any environmental infrastructure metrics pertinent to the SBC itself, and same deployment principles will apply to normal VoIP monitoring, caveat is that depending on configuration , set up and call path CAS may report on either caller or callee as being the SBC.

DC RUM VoIP analysis is vendor agnostic and so as long as the Avaya deployment is using SIP, H.323 and standard audio codecs with RTCP enabled then DC RUM will be able to provide VoIP decodes

Hello ... I am trying to get access to the document for Skype for Business ... but am gettting the message to contact the administrator... how can I get access to this document below?

1/ I found
some very good info there : https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/117516/monitoring-skype-for-business-with-dcrum-voip.html

See the attached zip file page.zip