cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Service Definition Question - Main Server IP Address

joel_butzow2
Inactive

Hello -

When manually defining a software service, there is a field for "Main Server IP Address". I believe this has something to do with built-in redundancy measures, but I would like to get a better understanding of what this field is used for.

I have attached a screenshot RUMQuestion.png for context.

Thanks for your assistance!

Regards,

Joel B

1 REPLY 1

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Joel,

"Main Server IP Address" is technically to report user defined IP address instead of real server IP retrieved from traffic.

An example would be a page that consists of elements loaded from a number of different servers that would normally be lost (if external server IPs are not defined in separate rules for this Software Service) or reported separately (if such servers are defined). We can merge such pages/components as single pages by specifying one "Main Server IP Address".

Another example of usage is when AMD is sniffing between VIP server and the farm of WEB servers and you don't want to see individual WEB servers performance but the whole VIP

By the way: The NLB setting is for times we see real client IP and server IP in the request but we see real client IP and load balancer IP instead of server IP in the response. In this case we'd put the load balancer IP in this setting so that we can link the conversation together.