cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Service client IP configuration

cosmin_gherghel
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

I have a software service that monitors all the MQ in a data center. My plan was to use the Client IP Configuration settings to single out transactions from specific clients that are part of another application. I added the client IPs and the suffix name but only 1 IP is getting mapped into another software service. All other IPs are still being mapped into the main software service. Any ideas why not all IPs are getting mapped?

Thanks,

Cosmin

4 REPLIES 4

matt_lewis
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hey Cosmin,

Without looking at the setup, my first guess would be that the other ip's are not using operations with the suffix that you are trying to match for the second Software Service, therefore they are filtered out. I'm wondering if there would be an simpler way to go about this.

You say that you have a software service monitoring all MQ in your DC. Why not leave that (assuming it also includes the operations you want for this other part of another app), and just use the Business units to split this out in to the various applications you would like to monitor (using the 'operation', 'task', 'module', and/or 'service' filters). I have been at customers that use just one software service per traffic type (HTTP, SAP, WSMQ, etc...), and then use the Business Units to further split this out with much success.

In general, Software services aren't what we present to the business, we like to present the Application/Tiers views, as these are more 'polished' versions of the traffic, usually with more business friendly names.

Let me know if this process is no viable at your site, or if you want more information around the process I have outlined above.

-Matt Lewis

cosmin_gherghel
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hey Matt,

The client IPs are now getting mapped correctly. Not sure what happened there. I have a support ticket open to understand this behavior. I am interested in the other solution you mentioned, can you further explain how to use the business units to split out certain traffic and and have it mapped to a specific application? More specifically would all the normal report drilldowns still work?

Thanks,

-Cosmin

Hey Cosmin,

Glad this ended up working for you! The CAS may not have processed the data from the AMD yet when you were looking at this earlier, giving the incomplete results.

As for the second part of your comment above, adding Applications, Transactions, and Tiers as part of Business Units is one of the core parts of DCRUM setup. The Application Health Status reports actually don't work unless you have applications defined. From the Application Health Status report, you can then drill down in to most out of the box reports and dashboards.

It would take too long to outline all the details of how to set up applications here, but there are some good videos on APM-U that walk you through the concepts, and then how to execute:

Monitoring Applications: Applications, Transactions, and Tiers (Parts 1 & 2)

The part I'm referring to is in Part 2 from about the 3:30 minute mark. In a nutshell:

1. Go to Settings -> Business Units in the CAS
  2. Add a new application
  3. Under the rule for new application: fill in software service (ALL-MQ in your case)
  4. if the application you want to define only uses certain servers, you can add them in the 'servers' section. If not, leave '*'
  5. under the Label section, use the search feature to type in the name of the transaction you are hoping to add as part of this application.
    1. Note that you can use '*' wildcards if it makes sense in this case
  6. Add another rule if this first rule doesn't capture everything you need (like additional labels)
More documentation around this here:

Defining an Application Rule

Let me know if this makes sense, or if you have any further questions. Additionally, if you will be doing this type of work on a regular basis, I would recommend you get on one of our Associate level virtual Instructor Led Courses (vILT) for DCRUM. It goes over the theory behind this, and many different examples of making this Business Units and DCRUM work for you. Course dates here: APM-U Calendar

-Matt Lewis

Hi Matt,

I understand how to create Applications in the Business Unit screen, my understanding falls a bit short when you talk about 'operation', 'task', 'module', and/or 'service' filters.

For example if I create a software service that includes all HTTP traffic for a data center then I create a application and add that software service to the application, how would I separate out just the traffic for that specific application.

P.S. I am professional certified 😉

-Cosmin