cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splunk Integration

Hello all,

I was just asked a question on Splunk integration with the Compuware APM products.  I know we have integration with dynaTrace through add-ons.  I am curious though if anyone has had any experience with attempting to send DC-RUM data to Splunk.  I did a search and only saw topics concerning dT and Splunk integration so far.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

15 REPLIES 15

pieter_van_heck
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

Hi Adam,

I know that there was work on the way to create a REST interface for the CAS. I actually believe it exists but is not fully documented. That would be the ideal way to integrated the data.

Regards Pieter.

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Oh, you mean DMI Web Services ... sure, if Splunk can request the data using SOAP or REST then definitely it's and option to get data from DMI!

I was somehow convinced we're talking about sending server.log to Splunk for analysis 🙂

Karolina_Linda
Community Team
Community Team

All,

Now you can also integrate Splunk with DC RUM! The plugin is available here: Splunk plugin for DC RUM

Regards,

Karolina

Keep calm and build Community!

Hi Karolina

I had try your plugin , but i couldn't get data from CAS , in my Splunk log i saw the HTTP Error 401 and i am sure that i had correct Account and Password.

BTW My CAS version is 12.3 , is this plugin only for DC-RUM 12.4?

Regards,

Joey

Hi Joey,

as written in the Details table, this plugin is compatible with DC RUM release 12.4.

I encourage you to upgrade to the latest 12.4.1 version.

Regards,

Karolina

Hi Karolina

Thanks your comment , i will discuss this with my customer.

Regards,

Joey

Hello All .. We are trying to estimate the sizing requirements to integrate our dcRUM version 12.3 with Splunk. Curious which data logs can I use to determine the sizing needs assuming we import all collected data and metrics as a worse case scenario?

Data that is send to Splunk is stored in the $CAS_INSTALL_DIR\partner_export directory as the Splunk_Analysis_by_Tier_* samples (for a default report). You can check the size of this samples and see what amount of data daily will be send to Splunk on average. In case of custom report samples with custom report name in the sample name will be generated.

Tip: you have to have CAS attached to Splunk to get this samples populated.

Martin, there is no support for Splunk integration in 12.3. We only provided it with 12.4. Unless you want to store CAS logs (from %CAS%\logs\ folder) in Splunk, but those won't contain any performance measurements (from AMD or other monitoring sources) that are in the CAS database.

nicolas_vaillie
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

In 12.3, it's possible to query the DCRUM REST API and provide the content to Splunk

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/102494/hit-url-...

I recommend the first plugin of the list to easily built the requests!

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Hope this helps,

Nic

Please note that DC RUM REST API has not been designed for this kind of integration, i.e., for constant querying DMI for new data. DC RUM REST API currently does not enable to use named time ranges, such as Last Monitoring Interval or Today, which means that your queries will be run against DB instead of fast DMI cache. As a result you may affect your DC RUM reporting server performance by constantly querying for new data from DB to be pulled to Splunk.

I would encourage everyone to rather use the solution we have provided in 12.4 [ Splunk plugin for DC RUM ]. It queries only DMI cache, hence its performance footprint for DC RUM setup is minimal.

mprreddy51
Newcomer

@

Karolina L

Hi,

Any one integrated Dyntrace with Splunk. I am trying to integrate dynatrace in my splunk environment.I read a some community blog but not clear.

Here is my questions:

1.Do i need to install the "dynatrace application perfornamce mangement app" in Indexer or Universal forwarder or searchhead.

2.What are the additional things to do after installing this app(like any java,flume...etc any thing needs to be installed? Can any one explain the step by step process?

Thanks,

Martin

Hi Prabhakar,

We have a separate plugin for App Mon and a separate plugin for DC RUM. I think you're talking about the one for App Mon. Am I right?

Regards,

Karolina

mprreddy51
Newcomer

@Karolina Linda

Hi Karolina,

I am talking about APM app. Which is available in Splunk base.

Thanks

So it's for App Mon. Please post any questions related to Splunk for App Mon in the Open Q&A forum here: https://answers.dynatrace.com/spaces/148/view.html

Regards,

Karolina