cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage period and resolution

Hi,

Does anyone know how long does the hourly data store ? If i had change the AMD_DAILY_TRENDS_LEN from default 31 to 91. Will I be capable to pull bandwidth usage report for a site for 90 days @ 1 hour resolution ?

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7

No, you won't. AMD_STORAGE_PERIOD is the property to change in this scenario. AMD_DAILY_TRENDS_LEN is for determining how long daily trends are stored (those with one day resolution).

However, please rethink the idea of extending the storage period. It will cause database grow (maybe even 10 times) and what is more important such report would be extremely slow as we do not have hourly aggregates and it would require to fetch raw data meaning NAM would have to go thru all the data in the database. Probably it will not be usable at all.

That's bad, I always thought CAS does aggregates hourly. By the way, any test on netflow data ? The main use case is to retrieve netflow data. Would it be a huge impact ?

Although in theory you could keep raw data measurements for up to 90 days, I believe that calculating 1 hour aggregates would seriously affect performance of your reporting server. Not to mention disk space required to handle that.

One way do what you are looking for is to export hourly stats to external engine like Splunk or Elastic. Though our partner export API used for such integration was not meant for resolutions other than 1 monitoring interval, I checked that we could help you to give you hourly aggregates. Please let me know if that would be something that could work for you.

This is the solution we use. We export hourly Software Service data to a big data warehouse where people can run reports against it using whichever 'dashboarding tool' they wish.

HI Sebastian,

Thanks for the follow up. As the solution is sold to customer without additional tools, so we won't be that keen to look into using elastic search or splunk due to cost reason and effort.

You mention that it is possible to have hourly aggregate ? I like to hear more. Currently, this deployment is using DCRUM 2017 SP5.

What I meant was that you can extend storage period up to 90 days - and then you will be able request reports with 1h resolution, however, the results will be generated out of the single monitoring interval measurements, which will cause the report to be slower and in case you use a farm - might cause problems with limits of maximum data allowed to be transferred between (CAS) Server nodes.

Btw Elastic is a free software.

Ok, noted.