cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Tasks of shrink tmpdb and db transaction log

skung
Organizer

Hi, my company DBA has it's own task to shrink tmpdb & db transaction log so usually we comment out these 2 tasks of tasks-400-hcbs.xml. After DCRUM upgraded to v12, I found this file does not exist anymore but command id 100 & 101 in file tasks-400-rtm.xml. Yesterday, DBDailyMaintenance task was timeout and failed with message shrink db... timeout failed. So I commented out commands 101 & 100 in file tasks-400-rtm.xml. However, today, I checked task schedule status it is empty. Did the 101 & 100 commented out stop task schedule jobs? what's the best practice to disable shrink tasks without affecting process? Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

harshal_pujari
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Sharyl,

Can you please attach the tasks-400-rtm.xml file in this post? I have seen the Tasks Schedule Status Window disappear, when there is an error in commenting out the individual tasks.

For example, if you insert the beginning of a comment in the wrong line.

Regards,

Harshal.

tasks-400-rtm.xml file attached

tasks-400-rtm.xml

Hi Sharyl,

Can you take a look in tasks-100-hcbs.xml in the CAS/Config folder? Search for task ID="MsSqlShrinkDB" and comment that out.

Also in the tasks-400-rtm.xml file, I don't see the commented out sections for Command ID 100 and 101.

I would recommend to comment the task out in tasks-100-hcbs.xml.

Regards,

Harshal.

We are running DCRUM 12.2.2 and commenting out the commands 100 + 101 in tasks-400-rtm.xml works for us, other tasks are still scheduled and running --> same behaviour as it was after changing tasks-100-rtm.xml in earlier versions:

<!-- command ID="100" name="Shrinks tmpdb and its transaction log" timeout="02:00" continueTaskAfterFailure="true">
            <class>adlex.delta.server.repository.scheduledTasks.MsTempdbShrinker</class>
        </command -->

<!--command ID="101" name="Shrinks database transaction log file" timeout="03:00" continueTaskAfterFailure="true">
            <class>adlex.delta.server.repository.scheduledTasks.MsLogShrinker</class>
        </command -->

I recommend to check if there maybe is a typo in your file.

correction: we are running DCRUM 12.2.1

skung
Organizer

It happened to me same the task status schedule screen disappeared when I commented out id 100 and 101.

There is no task "MsSqlShrinkDB" in tasks-100-hcbs.xml.

We are running DCRUM 12.2.2

sylvian_lam1
Organizer

Hi,

Just walk thru this thread, any impact to CAS if we shrink the tempdb? My tempdb is now over 10GB.

Thanks.

Sylvian