cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tasks of shrink tmpdb and db transaction log

skung
Organizer

Hi, my company DBA has it's own task to shrink tmpdb & db transaction log so usually we comment out these 2 tasks of tasks-400-hcbs.xml. After DCRUM upgraded to v12, I found this file does not exist anymore but command id 100 & 101 in file tasks-400-rtm.xml. Yesterday, DBDailyMaintenance task was timeout and failed with message shrink db... timeout failed. So I commented out commands 101 & 100 in file tasks-400-rtm.xml. However, today, I checked task schedule status it is empty. Did the 101 & 100 commented out stop task schedule jobs? what's the best practice to disable shrink tasks without affecting process? Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

harshal_pujari
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Sharyl,

Can you please attach the tasks-400-rtm.xml file in this post? I have seen the Tasks Schedule Status Window disappear, when there is an error in commenting out the individual tasks.

For example, if you insert the beginning of a comment in the wrong line.

Regards,

Harshal.

tasks-400-rtm.xml file attached

tasks-400-rtm.xml

Hi Sharyl,

Can you take a look in tasks-100-hcbs.xml in the CAS/Config folder? Search for task ID="MsSqlShrinkDB" and comment that out.

Also in the tasks-400-rtm.xml file, I don't see the commented out sections for Command ID 100 and 101.

I would recommend to comment the task out in tasks-100-hcbs.xml.

Regards,

Harshal.

We are running DCRUM 12.2.2 and commenting out the commands 100 + 101 in tasks-400-rtm.xml works for us, other tasks are still scheduled and running --> same behaviour as it was after changing tasks-100-rtm.xml in earlier versions:

<!-- command ID="100" name="Shrinks tmpdb and its transaction log" timeout="02:00" continueTaskAfterFailure="true">
            <class>adlex.delta.server.repository.scheduledTasks.MsTempdbShrinker</class>
        </command -->

<!--command ID="101" name="Shrinks database transaction log file" timeout="03:00" continueTaskAfterFailure="true">
            <class>adlex.delta.server.repository.scheduledTasks.MsLogShrinker</class>
        </command -->

I recommend to check if there maybe is a typo in your file.

correction: we are running DCRUM 12.2.1

skung
Organizer

It happened to me same the task status schedule screen disappeared when I commented out id 100 and 101.

There is no task "MsSqlShrinkDB" in tasks-100-hcbs.xml.

We are running DCRUM 12.2.2

sylvian_lam1
Organizer

Hi,

Just walk thru this thread, any impact to CAS if we shrink the tempdb? My tempdb is now over 10GB.

Thanks.

Sylvian