cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport error vs Failure (Transport)

oandriamasilala
Inactive

Hi everybody,

What is the difference between Transport error vs Failure (Transport) ?

I think Transport error includes http errors and what else ?

And Failure (Transport) includes TCP errors and what else ?

Regards,

Olivier Andria

13 REPLIES 13

ulf_thornander3
Inactive

Hi Olivier

A good Place to start looking is the online manual.

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DCRUM123/Application,+transaction,+and+tier+baseli...

The errors are (roughly) sorted into the 3 categories in relation to OSI. Just knowing you had an error doesn't exactly help you solve the problem. The toughest one to fix is the application layer since it involves understanding the application messages.

Failures (application)

The number of operation attributes of all types set to be reported as an application failure.

Failures (TCP)

The number of operations that failed due to one the TCP errors.

Failures (total)

The total number of failures, that is all Failures (transport) + all Failures (TCP) + all Failures (application)

Failures (transport)

The number of operations that failed due to the problems in the transport layer. You configure the failures (transport) to include the following: protocol errors, SSL alerts, aborts and incomplete responses.

raffaele_talari
Inactive

Hi Olivier,

according to the Metrics definitions the first one, Transport errors, calculates the number of errors while the second one, Failure (transport), calculates the number of operations that failed due to the problems in the transport layer.

Here are the descriptions:

Transport errors (id: transErr)

The number of transport related errors.

Failures (transport) (id: appl_FA)

The number of operations that failed due to the problems in the transport layer. These include protocol errors, SSL alerts classified as a failure, incomplete responses selected be classified as failures.

If you're not already aware of, you can find all the metrics' descriptions through the Help/? link in the DMI Report definition, as in the following screenshot:

you'll have the complete list (i.e):

Hope it helps.

Ciao, Raffaele

oandriamasilala
Inactive

Thank you Raffele and Ulf but in my exemple (attachment file),

I found 15 errors (Transport errors), but it stills 5 I can not find.

Also, is the Transport errors does not affect any availability metrics ? All my availability metrics are 100 %. In our exemple "Connectivite" is the alias of availability total.

Regards,availability.png

Hi Olivier,

sorry but what do you mean with:

"I found 15 errors (Transport errors), but it stills 5 I can not find." ?

Ty, Raffaele

I mean in my exemple, I have 19 Transport errors . 15 of errors are Http errors and what are the 5 misses ?

And I am wondriing, when there is Transport errors in my application, does it affect my availability metric, and which ?

Regards

Olivier I get what you're saying.

Please remember that in the HTTP errors metric are only considered the HTTP 4xx and 5xx errors...

HTTP errors (id: HTErr)
The number of observed HTTP client errors (4xx) and server errors (5xx).

I kindly suggest to take a look at the Metrics definitions in the Help DMI section, you'll find a lot of important info about how metrics are calculated.

Hope it helps.

Ciao, Raffaele

raffaele_talari
Inactive

@Olivier Andriamasilalao

I'd like to answer to:

"Also, is the Transport errors does not affect any availability metrics ? All my availability metrics are 100 %. In our exemple "Connectivite" is the alias of availability total."

As you can see from the Availability metrics definitions, it's calculated considering the failures.

In your case, as I can see from the screenshot, you have errors but not failures. It means the errors didn't cause any failures on the Transport layer thus your Availability metric wasn't affected.

Availability (total) (id: Avb)

The percentage of successful attempts, calculated using the following formula:
Availability (total) = 100% * (All Attempts – All failures) / All Attempts
where
All attempts = all failures + all successful operations + all standalone hits not classified as a failure + all aborts not classified as a failure
All failures = all failures (transport) + all failures (TCP) + all failures (application).

Availability (transport) (id: appl_Avb)

Availability limited to the transport context, calculated using the following formula:
Availability (application) = 100% * (All Attempts – Failures (Transport) / All Attempts
where
All attempts = all failures + all successful operations + all standalone hits not classified as a failure + all aborts not classified as a failure.

Availability (application) (id: AvbAppl)

Availability limited to the application context, calculated using the following formula:
Availability (application) = 100% * (All Attempts – Failures (Application) / All Attempts
where
All attempts = all failures + all successful operations + all standalone hits not classified as a failure + all aborts not classified as a failure.

Availability (TCP) (id: AvbNet)

Availability limited to the network context, calculated using the following formula:
Availability (application) = 100% * (All Attempts – Failures (TCP) / All Attempts
where

Hope it helps.

Ciao, Raffaele

oandriamasilala
Inactive

I looked at the DMI definition, but unfortunately, I have not found my answer. I looked for the missing 5 errors as I reported in my DMI as exemple.

Regards,

Olivier

Olivier have you checked SSL errors?

Ok Raffaele, there is no relation between Transport error and http error. But it is not clear for me "Transport error". Does it affect any availability metric ?

Regards,

Olivier

Olivier,

If a transport error causes a Failure(transport) (in other words it causes an operation to fail) yes, it should affect the related availability metrics.

Failures(transport)

The failures (transport) relate to problems occurring in the transport layer of a protocol monitored by the AMD:

• the errors in the transport layer,
  • SSL alerts classified as a failure,
  • abort classified as a failure in the configuration,
  • incomplete response classified as a failure in the configuration

SSL errors are also treated as transport failures. You can specify which SSL alert codes should be classified as availability problems, separately per alerts sent by server and client. For more information, see Managing SSL Alert Codes.

The priority of transport failures is lower then TCP failures, which means that the failures (transport) metric will not take into account any operation which was reported as transport failure even if an error in transport occurred.

The configuration enables you to decide which type of error, incomplete response or abort should be taken into account when calculating availability. Additionally, you can limit the failure reporting to specific conditions. The set of error types available for failure reporting depends on an analyzer.

Raffaele

I have checked ssl error, dns error, ldap error, sap error, Mq error as I sent in my DMI exemple.

Thank you for answering Raffaele, it is clear for me now.

Regards,

Olivier