cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting a network related issue

hans_hofkens1
Participant

Hi,

We are looking into a problem where we see significant network time added in front of our webseal secure proxy servers

After some analysis on ADS data we see that these high network times are always related to high request times

As the SSL connection setup time nor the http request time is pretty low I suspect it is related to TCP session setup

Is there any addional metric available that can reveal this?

I have included a screenshot of an ADS report

Thxnetwork issue.PNG

5 REPLIES 5

pierrick_planc2
Inactive

Hi Hans,

Did you find the answer you were looking for ?

Rgds,

Hi Pierrick,

No, not yet

Thx

Alright, 

So if this is TCP related (as you mentionned and I think you might be right), you can check the number of attempts for the TCP connection.

I believe there's a metric called "TCP connections attempts" that might give you this information.

During the connection your client is going to send a SYN packet, once this is received your server should send a SYN/ACK packet, and finally the client sends a ACK packet (for acknowledgement ).

You can add "TCP SYN Time" to see if the first packet of the TCP connection takes a lot of time or not.

Let me know if this helps,

Rgds.

hans_hofkens1
Participant

There is no relationship between TCP connection attempts and high request times

Same is true for TCP SYN time

deml
Guide

Hans,

I had a similar effect at a customer site last year: Here we figured out that the load balancer opens sessions with the web servers even if there is no client request - these sessions are kept open until a client request arrives or the session times out. By default the AMD will record this "waiting time" as (high) request time.

We resolved this by setting "Global/Advanced/Idle TCP sessions” „Established Idle TCP sessions …”.  to a small value. By doing so the AMD will exclude the SYN sequence and only measure the operation once a data packet arrives from the client.

Stefan