cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Defined Software Service - 'Use Internal IP Address' and 'Use External IP Address'

praveen_begur
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Internal - External IP Address.jpg

Hi,

I am using v12.1 SP2 and found a new configuration radio button option named  'Use Internal IP Address' and 'Use External IP Address' in the section for Client specific Software Service prefix.

What is the usecase for this option? See attached screenshot. 

Is this related to Clients coming in from VPN who are likely to have different Internal and External IP's? I searched the documentation for RUM Console but couldnt find an answer. 

This feature is available in v12.2 also.

3 REPLIES 3

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

See the Release Notes for 12.1 SP2 : 

Application Tier Definition Using Client IP Addresses

The RUM Console definition of the software service allows you to catalog and report traffic going to the same server IP and port by associating client group names with the originating client IP. On the report, the client group name is reported as a suffix to the software service name.

For example, a software service named “SQL” configured on a server located at 10.1.1.10 can be configured the following way:

Client IP AddressSoftware Service name suffix

_ATLANTA

_BOSTON

DCRUM will differentiate the SQL software service traffic going to the server based on the client IP definition and it will individually report data for software service SQL_ATLANTA and SQL_BOSTON individually.
The default configuration that contains no client IP definitions results in an empty client groupname. Similarly, an empty group name is used if a client IP is not included in any of the definedIP ranges. This configuration makes it possible to obtain only the client group name.
The same client group name can be used in many client IP ranges. The configuration of eachsoftware service is individual through the client group name. No cross-relations or cross-checksare performed between the definitions. It is possible to use a different name for the same client IP in each of the software services.

Senior Technical Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

praveen_begur
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Hi,

I have seen and understood the overall feature of creating Software Services based on Client IP addresses. This was not my question.

My question is - What is the usecase for using either of the 2 radio button choices of 'Use Internal IP Address' and 'Use External IP Address' ?

When should I select 'Use Internal IP Address' option?

When should I select 'Use External IP Address' option?

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

It depends on the software service:

If you would like to distribute the data of the software service on the basis of "internal IP address" or "external ip address" -

for instance, if clients connect to the server via proxy then internal ip address is a proxy address, and external ip address is their real ip address. So in such case you should select "use external ip address".  Or maybe you have more then 1 proxy server and you wish to distribute the traffic on proxy servers. (internal ip address)

Senior Technical Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert