cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User IP address vs name

Hi

Am running a 12.3.3 system in FE mode identifying users by ip address. However, the client would like to be able to track users based on cookies also. It seems (based on the reading of some other posts) that in order to do this, we need to switch to ISP mode. Ideally we'd like to report on both user name AND IP address. It would we even more useful if we could track multiple users coming from a single IP address. However, reading the limitations of ISP mode, it seems to imply that these two dimensions can not be combined ?

I also just want to establish what effect changing this setting will have on the rest of the CAS data. I'm not worried about historical user details, but still need application performance trending data etc. Will this data be maintained ?

Thanks

Gregor

5 REPLIES 5

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Gregor,

Changing user aggregation settings from FE to ISP mode recommends purging DB (all data), but I believe these modes are so close we could consider not purging it. Let me discuss internally and find out if such apprach could be safe ...

ISP mode configured as below will report all discovered user names, when not found will put client IP in user name field. Regardless user names Client IP address dimension will be always shown and correct.

Verified: no need to purge the DB. The only disadvantage could be users dictionary temporary increase in size, but will be decreased after by default 10 days.

Hi Adam

Thanks, I changed it and unchecked the purge button and its all good. I'm seeing user login details for the database decode, but HTTP is still proving challenging. Can pick up the user data in the configuration wizard, but applying it has no effect ie. I'm still just getting ip addresses. Have added session id rules and tried ack rules, but no luck just yet.

Regards

Gregor

Gregor,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier - do you still see the issue?

Hi Adam

No worries, sorry it took so long for me to actually make the change !! I had assumed it was much more complicated than it actually turned out to be !!

I'm still seeing the issue on 12.3.9. Have logged a call with support and they're suggesting upgrading to 12.4.12 which I'm planning to do as soon as I can get all the prereqs in place.

Thanks

Gregor