cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Users, mappings, and groupings

thomas_eurick
Contributor

Hi, I am looking for a way around the behavior of DCRUM user recognition and grouping.

The scenario: I am monitoring a URL that mutliple client cusomters hit. One of the session header values is a field that holds the clients ID. What we have put in place is user recognition is on this field and not the actual field comtaining the unique userID. This was done so we could then use a custom user to group mapping file to group the users to the company they belong too. This however results in UserName dimension not being unique and not soemthing that can be used in the Enerprise portal default dashboads/pages that allow you to easily drill down to a specific users operations and then to their hit level details. Adding a Grouping based on the userID field allows us to capture and deisplay user names in CAS reports using the Grouping field, but is uselss in the ootb Enterprise Portal pages.

Is there anyway around this so i could trap the real userid in the UserName dimension and then group them with a mapping file based on a Grouping Attribute??

5 REPLIES 5

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Thomas,

I'm not sure if I correctly understand your situation but as long as we can set up username recognition that returns user name and group name or ID joined together - we can then automatically split it on CAS and use separately.

Are user and group ID both present in the header?

Can we see how it looks like?

What is user name configuration?

thomas_eurick
Contributor

Thanks for your interest Adam.

Here are some further details:

Values we can grab from the url header/cookie: ClientID, UserName, JSESSIONID.

We have a User Rec polcy setup to pull the Client ID field fromk the Header, this ID field represents and entire client (ex. Widget Inc.).

We have a Grouping attribute setup to pull via a CustomRegEx the "UserName=([^;]*);" field that represent the individual users.

The reason we used a generic field for User Rec is so we could gorup them to specific Cleint Groups via a UsertoGroup mapping file. Since this group mapping mechanism only works off the UserName and is not configurable to say, use a Grouping Attribute, it complicates our view of users, especially in the Enterprise portal predefind dashboards.

Hope that helps.

Thomas,

I would be interested to see an example of entire header. If we could re-configure username recognition so the AMD reported i.e. "ClientID;username" or similar, we could use better DMI/EP dimension called "Client group".

If you're not comfortable attaching any docs in here feel free to send it directly to me.

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

This particular case will be services via support ticket.

Initially verified it’s doable: we will search through entire header, extracting both username and clientID and put them together as username into zdata data file. Then CAS will be set up to divide this into User name and Client Groups available in DMI/EP. Additionally we can develop simple text file and make CAS use it’s content similar as: 30ae892ex1=Walmart, so Client Groups dimension will report “Walmart”, instead of “30ae892ex1”.

thomas_eurick
Contributor

Thanks for the assist, the solution worked great