cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Does "Cursor Destruction" Mean

genesius_jarom1
Organizer

Hello,

When I drill down to Tiers/Database/Servers/Slow Operations/Slow Operations it takes me to the Slow Operation Loads report. Clicking on one of the Operation begin times takes me to Operation Load Sequence report. At the bottom of the report, in the Load Sequence section, is a Component named "Cursor destruction". What is this? The load sequences end with this component, but it is typically very, very high: all other components are in milliseconds; cursor destruction is well over 1 minute.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

God bless,

Genesius

5 REPLIES 5

david_alonso
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

You create a cursor on the database when you will execute more than on SQL instructions on it. This is a tehcnique used to send several SQL instructions in on execution. I see that you create the cursor for only one SQL, that usually is not very performance. The second point is that most of your time pass in idle time from receiving the data to destroy the cursor. This mean that your application server or heavy client is processing the received data till the cursor has been destroyed. In case it is an application server or heavy client you will need to revise the code over the application to see what kind of processing are doing.

genesius_jarom1
Organizer

@David A.

Thank you for your answer.

Would you happen to know if a report can be created to track "Cursor destruction" vs all other components?

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

if your ADS is in Small site configuration, you can create a DMI that shows the components details, then you will be able to create this reports using the component detail view of the ADS

genesius_jarom1
Organizer

@David A.

How would I determine if my ADS is set in Small Site Configuration?
I was unable to find Component View in the ADS.

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

Hello,

The data view is called "Operation element data". The dimetion to show is Component and you will be able to choose there the diferent time metrics and the hit numbers to compare.

Over the setting ADS sacalbility Settings you will find the configuration where you are (in your ADS server). For more information

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...