cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What exactly the Idle Time and Other Time ??

shashi_dasi
Inactive

Hi,

Could any one help me out in understanding the metric concepts like "Idle Time" and "Other Time" in CAS, i have gone through the documentation where I was not satisfied.

Thanks..

8 REPLIES 8

raffaele_talari
Inactive

Hi Shashi,

hope this picture contains the answers you're looking for:

IDLE TIME (first arrow): 

The part of the operation time spent between receiving a part of the response and
requesting a subsequent part. It enables you to isolate the time taken by
client from the time when the data was still being transmitted on the network
OTHER TIME (second arrow):

Part of the operation time, calculated as Operation time - Server Time - Network Time -
Idle time.

Hope that helps.

Ciao,

Raff

janusz_dabrowsk
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi, I recently answered similar question, where I discuss possible reasons of idle time, on the top of complete Raffaele's explanation.

Client (idle) time is explained as "The part
of the operation time spent between receiving a part of the response
and requesting a subsequent part. It enables you to isolate the time
taken by client from the time when the data was still being transmitted
on the network". See example from real POC on production environment here 10298-idle-time.png Why operation is slow there ? Network is fast, data are served pretty
fast by server. But "client think time" between requests for operation
components (hits) is so long that it makes operation time slow. Neither
server nor network are "guilty" here. This is slow client causing a
problem. Maybe some antivirus app is blocking requests ? Maybe javasript
needs some time to be processed ? Maybe saturated CPU is blocking
browser ? Maybe, finally, browser accessing some 3rd party data that AMD
does not monitor. It's all idle time from "our" server perspective.

Hi Janusz,

I tried to access the link you provided but unfortunately access denied, please help me out to access the same

@Janusz D. I believe that's not accessible because it's on the internal forum..

Thanks for pointing this out, I edited my post so it's now available for everybody interested.

Janusz's answer below. BTW, we discuss the same in the article I referenced in my answer 🙂

Client (idle) time is explained as "The part of the operation time spent between receiving a part of the response and requesting a subsequent part. It enables you to isolate the time taken by client from the time when the data was still being transmitted on the network". See example here. idle-time.png Why operation is slow there ? Network is fast, data are served pretty fast by server. But "client think time" between requests for operation components (hits) is so long that it makes operation time slow. Neither server nor network are "guilty" here. This is slow client causing a problem. Maybe some antivirus app is blocking requests ? Maybe javasript needs some time to be processed ? Maybe saturated CPU is blocking browser ? Maybe, finally, browser accessing some 3rd party data that AMD does not monitor. It's all idle time from "our" server perspective.

jaroslaw_orlows
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Shashi, have a look at Primary reason for slowness and operation time. To understand what idle and other times are, you need the full perspective of other operation time components and how they are calcualated. The article discusses the graphics Raffaele attached in his reply.

tim_su
Newcomer

Hi Sirs,

If the idle time is very high in database, how to explain the situation?

Please refer the attachment screenshot. The ip address 10.30.99.75 is an application server.

Regardm

Tim