cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the core difference between Hits, Request, and Operations? Which one is more general to use with CAS DMI reports?

pkiran
Inactive

In the below example you will see that number of Hits is 8 X times then the Request and
Operations numbers for the same service at the same time interval. I have noticed that this hits are matching the internal login(database) of an application team. I would assume the operations will match the internal login count vs hits count for an application. Please share your view points on this.

1 REPLY 1

Hi Kiran

So this is slightly different but let me try and clear it up for you. Firstly here are the definitions for each metric

Operations

The number of operations. The term "operations" refers to operations in the context of the particular protocol, and can mean HTTP/HTTPS page loads, database queries, XML (transactional services) operations, Jolt transactions on a Tuxedo server, e-mails, DNS requests, Oracle Forms submissions, MQ operations, VoIP calls, MS Exchange operations, or SAP operations.

Hits

The number of subcomponents of error-free operations. Note that this metric is recorded at the time when the monitored operations are closed. In case of HTTP, it is when the whole page has been loaded. Compare "Hits (started)". For example, when the user issues an HTTP GET, a "Hit (started)" is reported immediately, whereas if a whole page is loaded and the operation is closed, it is reported as a "Hit".

Requests

The number of all operation requests, both requests that became successful operations and requests that were aborted by the client.

So here are the basic differences.

Operations only count things that complete successfully and are designed to be user actions. For HTTP an operation is a page load eg www.dynatrace.com, for a DB analyzer it would be say a Select statement. A hit is all the components that make up the page such as the CSS, images js and so on.

Requests are all attempted operations including the failures.

So in general, Operations = Requests if there are no failures. If tehre are failures then Operations + Failures = Requests

For HTTP Operations should always be less than hits. For things like DB calls and SOAP then operations and Hits should match.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Alasdair