cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference beweeen CPU number "All" and individual CPU number e.g. 1,2,3,....

agautam
Contributor

I would like to know:

1. What is the difference between CPU number "All" and individual CPU number e.g. 1,2,3,...., which we see in DMI reports for our AMDs?

2. Is it beneficial to monitor each individual core? Is each core dedicated to any particular AMD process?

3. Why does the "Percentage of single CPU core usage" goes beyond 100%? In my case its even above 400%.

2 REPLIES 2

Babar_Qayyum
Leader

Hello Abhishek,

Why one core may be used much more than others

You may see one core being used much more than other cores. Typically this is because the core 0 (fixed assignment) is handling NIC interrupts, which typically is the most active thread, and anther separate core is assigned to packet dispatching. Load from those two activities typically defines the AMD capacity limit in a particular environment.

Note that cores that analyze packets (multiple threads) will typically be waiting to receive packets.

• More complex analysis (such as looking for error strings in whole HTML pages and using regex) will result in higher CPU utilization of these threads, so less wait time will occur and overall larger average CPU utilization.
  • Less complex analysis (such as generic TCP, which only counts bytes, packets, and TCP errors) will result in significantly lower CPU utilization on the analyzer thread.

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Check the following knowledge base about 100% utilization of core CPU:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/pages/vi...

Regards,

Babar

brayden_neale
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

In regards to question 3: 'Why does the "Percentage of single CPU core usage" go beyond 100%?

This is because the 'Percentage of single CPU core usage' is the sum of each individual core's percentage usage. For example with 4 cores at 50% usage, this measure would show 200%.
It simply provides an overview of the AMD utilization.

For a detailed breakdown of each core I would just run top from the AMD and then type 1.