cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Do Operation Attributes Come From?

genesius_jarom1
Organizer

I'm running out of the office in two minutes, so I apologize if all of the needed info is not in this post.

An application error report indicates there are Operation Attributes 1 and 4. When I check the Software Service and the rules for this Application, there are no Operation Attributes configured. Where is DCRUM getting this from? The analyzer is SOAP over HTTP.

I'll supply screen shots and other info, if required on Monday.

Enjoy your weekend.

God bless,

Genesius

14 REPLIES 14

jean_louis_lorm
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

hello,

do you have data in the ads for these Opération attribute dimension?

do a screen shot of the dmi and of the software service configuration.

regards,

jll

@Jean-Louis Lormeau

There
is data in the ADS for the SOAP service. Not sure what you meant by
"Opération attribute dimension". No Operation Attributes have been
configured.

Here is a screen shot from the ADS.

Here are the screen shots for the Rules.

tsoap-rule-operation-attributes.jpg

tsoap-custom-metrics.jpg

tsoap-soap.jpg

tsoap-operation-name.jpg

tsoap-options.jpg

tsoap-availability.jpg

I've also attached a file with the rule configuration downloaded from RUM Console.

tsoap-software-service-rules.txt

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

@Jean-Louis Lormeau

Any ideas?

Thanks and God Bless,

Genesius

matt_lewis
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

In your screenshot of the software service setup, note that there is a tab along the top for 'Opperation Attributes'. Can you select that, and post a screenshot of the setup there? If you have not configured anything in there, your operation attributes should (from memory) not return anything, as they are blank.

Thanks,

Matt Lewis

@Matt Lewis

I thought I included it in my original posting; maybe it can't be opened.

Here it is.

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

Hey Genesius,

My apologies, I did not look close enough at the list of attachments you included in your original post!

Just to clarify, when you say that "an application application error report indicates there are Operation Attributes 1 and 4", are you saying that the report has values for these operation attributes (values other than '0')? If so, can you supply a screenshot of this report with the operation attributes?

Operation attributes are used to collect and report textual data that is not already captured by the software service. This is similar to the concept of custom metrics, which are used to collect and report numeric values. Documentation on this here: Extracting XML and SOAP Operation Attributes. Once you have extracted these operation attributes, they will show up in CAS reports under the 'Operation Attributes (1-5)' metrics:

If you would like to give the operation attributes more friendly names (as most customers do), then you can achieve that by going to the Diagnostic Console and following the documentation here: Defining Operation Attribute Names.

Hope this helps, and that I am on the right for what you are asking.

-Matt Lewis

@matt lewis

Here are screen shots from the report and from the RUM Console.

• Tier
    =
    Middleware

• Application
    = movingTICKET

• Service
    =
    All other

• Module
    = MovingTicketExt

• Task
    =
    MovingTicketExt:createMovingTicket

• Operation
    =
    MovingTicketExt:createMovingTicket

There are 148 Operation Attributes (4) Response Messages. However, Operation Attribute category 4 is not configured.

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

Wow, that is quite strange... I have just looked at our demo system, and we have the same characteristic, only ours is (mostly) 'Operation attributes (3)'.

I have no idea what this can mean. @Adam Piotrowicz, do you have any insight in to where these operation attributes come from, and what they mean when there are none manually configured for a software service?

genesius_jarom1
Organizer

@Adam Piotrowicz

Any ideas?

Thanks and God Bless,

Genesius

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Genesius,

Sorry for late response.

If custom Operations Attributes are not defined some default failure codes are extracted from SOAP traffic.

If you're interested in details please let us know.

Thanks @Adam Piotrowicz

Yes, I would be interested in knowing these defaults.

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

wojciech_kurek
Inactive

Genesius,

By default, the SOAP decode reports SOAP Faults as Operation Attributes (if no custom attributes are defined). Here's a mapping of fault codes to operation attributes (see http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/#faultcodes for descriptions of the fault codes):

• VersionMismatch - operation attribute 1
  • MustUnderstand - operation attribute 2
  • DataEncodingUnknown- operation attribute 3
  • Sender - operation attribute 4
  • Receiver - operation attribute 5

If a custom operation attribute is defined in the software service configuration, reporting of fault codes associated with the particular attribute number is suppressed.

Wojciech.

@Wojciech KurekThank you.

The fault code that comes up is Operation Attribute 4. According to your link this is, Sender.

“The message was incorrectly formed or did not contain
the appropriate information in order to succeed. For example, the message could
lack the proper authentication or payment information. It is generally an
indication that the message is not to be resent without change (see also 5.4 SOAP Fault
for a description of the SOAP fault detail sub-element).”

Who is the "Sender" is this case? The server or the client?

Since my original posting, we have found that the target server of this application is unavailable every night from 10 to ~10:05. We are receiving "HTTP 5xx" errors. Would the 5xx errors cause the Sender attribute to be incremented?

Thanks and God bless,

Genesius

The Sender fault indicates an issue with the client (e.g. an incorrectly formatted XML request message). It may or may not be connected with the 5xx server errors. A 500 error on it's own will not generate a fault. The Fault element must be present in the SOAP XML response for it to be reported by the SOAP decode.

Wojciech.