cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

X-Forwarded-For request header

rnadar
Guide

Hello All,

we are using DCRUM 12.3 for Airline industry.
now we need true client IP/ X-Forwarded-For from HTTP or HTTPS load balancer, so that we can analysis global users from DCRUM.

kindly let me know how to configure X-Forwarded-For.

20 REPLIES 20

Karolina_Linda
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Ram,

is this what you're looking for: HTTP - Page Assembly?

Regards,

Karolina

Keep calm and build Community!

Hello Karolina,

Thanks. I saw the article. It is not helping me much.

-Ram

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

You want the Client IP extraction section on the General tab.

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Select client IP address extraction
method.

• To turn off automatic client IP address
    extraction, select Off.
  • To extract the client IP address from a
    header tag, select Header tag and type the name of the HTTP header field
    containing the real client IP information.

You want to set the Header tag filed to X-Forwarded-For

Or sometimes as per the documentation, REMOTE_ADDR is used instead.

ok I am getting Client IP address. but still i am getting CDN details for Client Area and Client region as Internet.

how can i get actual user client location like area, region & country?

The output which I am getting is like below dashboard.

need output as below dashboard:

The data supplied with DCRUM does not include country breakdowns in the automatic sites breakdown. This is because the source data (the IANA ASN database does not include this data).

To do so, you'd have to find a new source of internet geo lookup data, and manually import it all into DCRUM.

thun
Advisor

You need to configure if the automatic site detection should be used (CAS Server config via RUM Console or from Web UI Settings -> Central Analysis Server -> Server Configuration in 12.3).

If you want to use your own Mapping for IPs to Client sites you either need to define a location.config file in the <CAS Install\config directory or you need to manually add the site configuration via the RUM Console

Hello Friederike,

Thanks for the info. I am looking for automatic site detection. kindly find current setting details from CAS. what changes i should make to get result like expected-output ( PFB snapshot)

expected result:

Hello Ram,

what does your RUM Console says about Client Sites? Should be under Reporting Configuration -> Sites . Any sites configured?

If you do not want to have AS names as Site names turn the first radio button to "No automatic sites". I think you'll need a CAS Service restart afterwards. But keep in mind: If you do not configure manual client sites (visible e.g. in the RUM Console), you will have all IP-Adresses matched to "All other".

Please refer to the documentation for manually site import: Adding Sites Manually and automatic site import Site Import via External File

rnadar
Guide

Hello All,

Any idea on this?

Hi,

If you do not have a file containing the sites definition, then you have to use a map.zip file that contains the IP adresses and the cities / country around the world. Think of it as a file for Geolocalisation in DCRUM.

The geographical information for the site is based on a geographic information database that can be purchased separately from Geobytes. The Geolocation database from Geobytes comes in the form of a map.zip file that contains information in plain text files. DC RUM report servers do not provide any geographical database by default.

To install or update the database, put the map.zip file in the report server (CAS or ADS) installation directory (usually the <install_dir>\geosites\ folder). The database is read automatically and no server restart is necessary. Successful geolocation information import is recorded in the server log file and labeled with <Geoloc> marker.

If you can't find the file at above mention location (or search the folder), please go to http://geobytes.com/geonetmap/ to get the map.zip file.

Detail of technical technical information, you can refer to https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DCRUM123/Geographical+Location+Information

This would be the simpler way to get this done 🙂

Let me know if this helps, I used this map.zip file last week and it worked perfectly,

Cheers

- Pierrick

rnadar
Guide

Hello All,

I got some free data from a site but limited.

I have arranged the data as per below snapshot and URL. Can anyone validate it for me please?

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Syntax:

Example:

did the CAS loaded this configuration without failures?

Normally there should be only 1 mapping for A.region.

In your case it is like:

Atlanta, Suwanee, Kennesaw and so on are mapped to the Area US. This is fine but you are mapping each City to some Region (like Georgia and California) and the area US is mapped to several regions as well - this isn't possible.

I would adapt this like:

Atlanta = a - b
Atlanta.area = Georgia
Atlanta.region = US

Try this for all your sites and map one city or area only to one region.

Hi Friederike,

Yes, CAS loaded without failures. but still I'm not able to get client site, area & region. All I'm getting is CDN (Content Delivery Network) data.

I totally agree with you, 1 mapping for one region. But in this case we have different IP ranges for different city/area. how we can manage it? I have 1 million of raw data with me.

Hello Ram,

you can define multiple entries for one city - one for each IP range.

Than map this city (location) to exactly 1 area and afterwards map each area to exactly one region like I showed before.

Than you'll have e.g.:

Atlanta = a-b
Atlanta = c-d
Atlanta = y-z
Atlanta.area = Georgia
Atlanta.region = US

Hi @Ram Nad

When you put the map.zip file, you have to be careful about the format, and what it contains.

You should have the following files in the .zip:

In each file you'll have different informations but it'll all look like this:

"CityId","CountryID","RegionID","City","Latitude","Longitude","TimeZone","DmaId","Code"

"CountryId","Country","FIPS104","ISO2","ISO3","ISON","Internet","Capital","MapReference","NationalitySingular","NationalityPlural","Currency","CurrencyCode","Population","Title","Comment"

Bottomline is, using a free database might be an alternative but you'd have to change the format of all the files, and that's very time consuming.

Let me know if you want the format for each file.

Also don't forget to check the log files to see any "Geosites" log that says the file was read correctly.

Cheers.

Hello Pierrick Planchon,

Thanks.

I suppose you are talking about map.zip file from Geobytes.https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Alternately we can define site by Adding Sites Manually and automatic site import Site Import via External File.

Its very good to see you have these many information with you. I don't have much information in my raw data file to match your map.zip data file. I only have ip range, site, area & region details with me.

Just curios to know weather you are able to see all the attributes in map.zip data in CAS dashboard? If possible can u attach a snapshot, so i can show it to my Client & tell its worth to buy.

Hi,

Absolutely I can give you examples of dashboards that shows those information.

Keep in mind this is a very simple example, you could also do something like having a map with indicators that shows you the health for each country / city.

If you want more information or if you want me to present something, I'd be delighted to do it so feel free to message me directly.

Now, If you want to import the sites from the external file, I can help you as well as it can sometime be tricky.

Just let me know how I can help,

Cheers,

Hello @Pierrick Planchon

Thanks for the sample dashboard. This is what I was looking for.

can you help me in importing the site from external file?

Absolutely,

Usually I would recommend doing some scripting for large files.

If you look at Friederike's answer you'll have the correct format for the file used to import sites.