cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installed Dynatrace Network Analyzer on my employee demo platform, but when I try to launch DNA(TTA), I get a registry security exception (even when I use Run as Administrator)

andrew_n_matthe
Inactive

Any ideas please? thanks

6 REPLIES 6

tomasz_szulist
Inactive

Hi, Andrew.

Is it fresh install or upgrade? What platform, 32 or 64 bit? Check the registry if HKLM\Software\Compuware\Application Vantage\12.3\Global exists (it may be also in HKLM\Software\SysWow6432 hive depending on OS) and it is accessible. If not, create it manually and/or edit its security settings to give read, write and modify rights for current user. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tomasz

paul_bodsworth1
Newcomer

This exact issue is troubling me on W2K12 x64. Tried the above. Pity there is no response from the OP, I'll have to open a case.

tomasz_szulist
Inactive

Hi @Paul Bodsworth. Most likely this is due to antivirus or some other security software that disrupts DNA installation. As a result, console is not able to access its registry settings. I would start from checking the following registry keys:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Compuware\Application Vantage
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Compuware\Application Vantage\12.3
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Compuware\Application Vantage\12.3\Global

Usually, it's enough to give full control to local Administrators group (or current user in case the account does not belong to admins). Sometimes you also need to set the keys ownership, because it also might be broken.

I found a fix, maybe a little drastic. It was as you suggest.

When I tried to get the support file for the case I opened, I found this would not work either and the Just-In-Time debugger led me to the key you mentioned above: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Compuware\Application Vantage\12.3

I checked the permissions on it which seemed OK but when I tried to reapply permissions I met with an error and I also couldn't open it: 'an error is preventing this key from being opened'

It seemed it could be hard work to fix the error:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-a-rogue-registry-key/cd841d75-c5dd-47e...

Therefore I got a colleague to logon to the machine and check if he could start the Network Analyzer and this was successful. While he was logged on I got him to delete my profile, now I logged on again it works for me as expected. Too bad he didn't back up my start screen shortcuts though.

Kind Regards,

Paul.

jean_louis_lorm
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hello,

change the permission of the registry key :
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Compuware\Application Vantage
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Compuware\Application Vantage\12.3
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Compuware\Application Vantage\12.3\Global
with local Administrators set group permission to Full Control

Regards,

JLL

paul_bodsworth1
Newcomer

Hi JLL,

Thank you for your answer.

I'm sure this would work but in my case I couldn't do this because the key was corrupt. Maybe it had a null character or something.

Anyway this post is a great resource for the next person with the same issue. I'm OK for now, and thanks to all who replied.

Regards, Paul.