cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

"Directive FIELDS is missing" in errors.log NAM

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

The errors.log of a NAM 2018 instance is repeatedly being filled with the error line(s):

E HLOG 19-04-04 03:45:16.404 Directive FIELDS is missing

E HLOG 19-04-04 03:50:02.103 Directive FIELDS is missing

E HLOG 19-04-04 03:55:02.789 Directive FIELDS is missing

What is it and how can we stop this form occuring?

3 REPLIES 3

luke_boyling
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

My guess from looking at my personal environment (though would need someone else to provide more insight) is that when your environment isn't configured to monitor Sequence transactions, the transdata files from the NAM Probes are empty.

This is because the error happens during transdata processing, on my environment with only a handful of software service configured:

T RCV    19-06-18 07:49:24.316    transdata_5d08976c_1_t is being processed (from probe). Sample begin ts = 19-06-18 17:48. Sample delay 0 min.
E HLOG    19-06-18 07:49:24.320    Directive FIELDS is missing
T RCV    19-06-18 07:49:24.327    transdata_5d08976c_1_t processed on 2 probes in 00:00.006. Records:8

The exact contents of the file from one of my 2 NAM Probes is below - note that all 4 lines are comments.

#Producer: ndw.19.0.0.360
#AmdUUID: ********-****-****-****-************
#Fields: type=H timestamp:long transName:txt applicationName:txt @bizTransId:ulong:hex clientIP:ip internalClientIP:ip userName:txt appType:int tenantId:txt cBytes:int sBytes:int cPkts:int sPkts:int cP:int sP:int cRtt:int sRtt:int ADCD:int cRx:int sRx:int pages:int hits:int steps:int stepsNominal:int pageIds:txt errHits:int aborts:int failureCode:int appErr:int appErrs:json transT:int genT:int idleT:int tholdT:int pageIdleT:int appT:int clientT:int recType:uint:hex corrId:txt dupl:int userMetrics:json processId:int citrixServerIp:ip
#Fields: type=P timestamp:long transName:txt applicationName:txt @bizTransId:ulong:hex clientIP:ip internalClientIP:ip userName:txt appType:int tenantId:txt cBytes:int sBytes:int cPkts:int sPkts:int cP:int sP:int cRtt:int sRtt:int ADCD:int cRx:int sRx:int pages:int hits:int steps:int stepsNominal:int pageIds:txt errHits:int aborts:int failureCode:int appErr:int appErrs:json transT:int genT:int idleT:int tholdT:int pageIdleT:int appT:int clientT:int recType:uint:hex corrId:txt dupl:int userMetrics:json processId:int citrixServerIp:ip

Thus, because there's no actual lines, there's no line with FIELDS in it for the NAM Server to read - hence the error.

My intuition is that it's harmless if you don't have any sequence transactions in use, but would be nice to get confirmation.

Unfortunately I can't tell you how to get rid of these messages. I just can say that I opened a ticket because of these error messages years ago for DCRUM 12.2.1 and even think they occured in Vantage 11.5 ... for the older ones 🙂

I didn't get a solution but only this statement from Compuware/Dynatrace

"The customer can ignore these messages, these do not affect the data and are normally seen in the logs when you have synthetic data coming from a PE Agent Manager "

I can confirm that this error come during TRANSDATA processing.

It doesn't have impact on processing and can be ignored.

However I will fix this issue in 19 SP 1.