cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reached the limit server-port pairs

henk_stobbe
Mentor

Can anybody give me some background on the max server-port pairs (10-4999) is the max, but why not have a * for all ports on a ip address?

KR Henk Stobbe

10 REPLIES 10

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Henk,

Do you mean that there is a way to workaround 5k ip-port limit?

Can you provide any examples? Maybe screens? You put "*" in port number?

henk_stobbe
Mentor

Adam,

correct, i am looking for a 5k ip-port limit if that is possible, 

FYI the biggest port range possible is 10-4999 (-;

KR Henk

henk_stobbe
Mentor

sorry the 5k limit work around

henk_stobbe
Mentor

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Well the workaround would be to use native driver on the AMD and RUM Console >= 12.2.1.14. Be sure that you are using native driver. 

12.2.2 and 12.3.0 should contain configurable limit and be applicable also for customized driver, but I need to confirm this information - will let you know.

Ok, thanks for you quick response, no hurry. I thought it would be nice to put in a service on an ip address with "any port" as a param.

Thx for your patience.

Hi Henk

Just a question out of curiosity.

If you would do what you say - (wildcard an IP port) then you're bundling up all kinds of protocols into one SS - How will that help you to understand what is going on as you would be mixing ICMP with SMB, HTTP and what not?

If you are only looking for the volume of traffic from a particular adress, then there are other ways of achieveing this that might be better suited.

Ulf,

Background is very practical. Customers always have a list for me with: machine name, ip address and his function for example database name or application name.

These environments are not always in use en the list can be list is not 100% accurate,  port numbers are unknown and can even be dynamic.

Would it not be nice to be able to manually insert this data in the console and give hime any port number.

You are absolutely right so it would be better to exclude well known ports and/or have a option like: include all ports except ICMP SMB etc.

So the question has to do with the implementation of the tool, where traffic is not always available.

KR Henk

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Ahh.

Well - what you refer to is what hits us most of the time when we step into an account. Usually there are a few clues like a Powerpoint or some high-level drawing, sometimes you might get a flow diagram or even a Visio with some names or IP addresses on.

What you then have to do is a bit like CSI, but usually without the dead bodies. In DC RUM there are a number of tools at your disposal and to get the complete picture you might need to look at few of them.

On of my first places to go and look is the "Sniffing Point Diagnostics" - If this is turned off I turn it on and tend to have slightly longer period than the default 1 minute but it has relations to the volume of traffic you are receiving, and don't worry that the AMD will fill up with traces, it's taken care of by housekeeping processes.

Once you have captured some traffic you should then be able to find it in one of the panes/columns below  (don't forget to use the filter).

If it is as you say, rarley traffic on the address you think you should be monitoring, then you can set up a trace for that single IP only. After it has run sufficient time, you should be able to see what ports and protocols that are using the IP address. These are the ones you then can define as Software Services.

In 12.3 (just around the corner) we will make this even easier for you so that you can pick SS's of a list and chose to define them or just let them roll up into the BIG bucket of all other traffic. On the AHS start screen you will have a new item that lists how many Software Sertvices we have discovered as well

I also STRONGLY recommend to do the free online training at http://apmuonline.compuwareapm.com/course/view.php?id=809

You will have many pleasant surprises as to what you can do and how you do it and it will create much more valuable reports and data for you in DC RUM.

Ulf,

Thanks for your detailed answer, I have enrolled in the training. I will give you feedback after following the courses,

Thanks Henk