cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

resolving IP from specific ranges

ckc
Organizer

Hi,

We want to minimize our resolving time since its way high, anyway we can specify on ranges it should resolve ip adresses and which ip ranges it shouldnt?

Regards,

Claus

13 REPLIES 13

alasdair_patton
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Claus

By default the CAS server will only resolve server names. At the beginning this will take longer as there are a lot of new servers. There is an option to resolve client names as well but this is disabled by default. I would have to double check if there is an option to limit the ranges.
If you want you can also specify a host name file to manually map IP addresses to server names. You can do this by updating the following file

<install drive>:\Program Files\Compuware\CAS\config\dns_map-hcbs.properties

You can also force this to override DNS entries.

The Control for DNS resolution is located in atscon by selecting Advanced Properties Editor

Regards

Alasdair

Hey Alasdiar,

How taxing is it for the CAS to use this file for server name lookups? Our DNS lookups seem to be inconsistent so I'd like to just dump our DNS list into this file. But, if we have 50,000+ entries, would this be more work for the CAS to parse than attempting the DNS lookup?

And, if a server name is in the cache, will the CAS still attempt to look up the name from this file? I know that it won't lookup in DNS, again, if it already has the name. Same behavior with this file?

Thanks!

ulf_thornander3
Inactive

Slightly related but it's a best practise to limit the number of servers by using "Accepted server IP address range" in /Diagconsole.

By specifying for example the IP ranges in your DC(s), you weed out a lot of noise that eats up capacity and time in the CAS.

And @Brett Barrett , as Alasdair says, the default is to only resolve the servers.
Do you have 50.000 servers?

When using "Accepted server IP address", then traffic from IP addresses not in the accepted range is disregarded right?

Sorry miss wrote it, should have been "Accepted client IP address range". Clients not in range is disregarded?

Hi Claus

Yes if you enable that range any traffic that comes form a client outside iof that range is dropped by the CAS server.

Regards

Alasdair

Any traffic outside any of the ranges will be dropped.

Hey @Ulf Thornander,

Yeah, definitely would be the best practice, but Target likes to do things their own way. We don't aggregate any users or clients. We have 33,212 servers in the cache right now.

Oups - tell me if they sell a few at a bargain price!

You can always start on a HW spree and upgrade to SSD's and what not.....

Yeah, we're already using high-performance SSDs by FusionIO. Still tough to handle TBs of data

You know you can RAID the SSD's too:-)
If you have plenty of them I mean....

ulf_thornander3
Inactive

Actually @Alasdair Patton is right further down. Anything outside the range will be dropped.

ckc
Organizer

Hi Again,

We figured since we had a huge backlog on unresolved clients (over 200.000, our client cache is 269.000) and plenty resources available on the server we changed DNS_THREADS so we could get rid of the queue. We then monitored it and surely enough after a day the queue almost gone. Problem was when queue was done is went back up to over 200.000, once Again we monitored it and when done wooop back to over 200.000 Again, ideas why its doing this?

Regards

Claus