cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rtminst scripting

emeck
Contributor

Has anyone had any experience with scirpting the rtminst components?  I'd like to be able to get a new AMD in and run a set configuration script to set some rtminst settings such as driver settings and capture ports.  And dealing with the interactive rtminst breaks that process and mandates a hands-on step in the process.

Thanks,

-Erich

5 REPLIES 5

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

It's a nice approach but having installed a few AMD's, it seems like you have a better chance of winning on the lottery than getting the naming the ETH interfaces in the right order.

The only thing I've gotten to work in some manner was using imaging. But not even that is bullet proof since the ID's of the NICs change even within the same product.

emeck
Contributor

Well, I wouldn't want to do it in a vacuum.  The plan is to use a configuration management utility to pass ETH interface configurations into the script.  Ala setting up AMD's via Puppet.

That would be COOL!!! (thumbs up)

But I'm afraid I have no input on if the RTMINST has a way of taking input - I think you're best off opening a ticket.

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

rtminst simply edits the rtm.config file.  The syntax of it is pretty simple, you should be able to use puppet and scripting to edit this file yourself.

As Ulf alludes to however, linux can rename/renumber interfaces should the hardware ever change, so your script would have to be smart enough to identify the capture interfaces (hopefully you use a different model NIC to the comms interface to make this easy). any sort of static config file replacement would be unreliable.

emeck
Contributor

If that's the case, then that's great.  the rtm.config should be able to be erb'd, or at the very least given a lens in augeas.  I'll see if I can post my findings to the community when I finish.