cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what Best way to multicast monitoring with dcrum?

allison_almeida
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

What the best strategy to multicast monitoring with AMDs?

6 REPLIES 6

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Hi

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

What is it that you want to monitor and what do you want to do with the monitored data?

Best regards

allison_almeida
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

Hi Ulf.

The objective is to monitor initially if the multicast(for specified application) is available on the site. We have an AMD on that sites.

The first idea is to monitoring the traffic to the Server IP(Application Multicast range).

Best.

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Aha - Sorry I got that a bit backwards....

You should be fine doing that, however remember that depending on how you get the data into the AMD is crucial. If you like many others use SPAN or similar feature, that might result in some problems for you since not all port mirroring able switches and OS'es are able to handle multicast. That's one reason why I always try to get a passive TAP instead. It has other benefits as well such as you will see corrupt packets (SPAN discards them) and you will be 100% sure that the SPAN feature or the Switch isn't playing tricks on you such as dropping packets or worse.

allison_almeida
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

Good points. I'm really using SPAN, despite the customer knows the drawbacks of this solution.

we're using "default software services" and my doubt is if we have another best way to monitoring.

regards.

Allison.

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

OK - If you're using "default software services" then I guess you're ending up with quite a number of them?

Just keep a keen eye on them and remember to use "Accepted Server IP Range" and if you can, "Accepted Client IP Range"

I also have to admit that I've never actually configured a named application based on multicast, but somewhere in the back of my mind there is something about dynamic IP address assignment for multicast but I might be wrong.

Coming back to yuor SPAN config. Depending on your network config, you could use VACL instead and thereby get better granularity on the data you pass to the AMD. But if you are using "Default SS" then I assume you want to keep an eye on a given WAN port or something and then you'll be better off with SPAN (but best with a TAP).

allison_almeida
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

Ok, thanks.

Related to dynamic IPs, the app utilize a close range of IPs to multicast and 1 IP to the "streamer" server.