cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Instrumentation for Android Jetpack Compose Framework

rspeakman
Visitor

Is auto instrumentation supported for Android apps built with the Jetpack Compose framework? I have a native app built with Jetpack Compose version 1.0.5 on Android Studio Bumblebee | 2021.1.1 Patch 2. The gradle plugin is configured to auto instrument the app and I am able to see high level information being reported. I can see the things like Loading XYZApplication, Loading XYZActivity etc. However I do not see any of the finer grain detail like taps on buttons etc.  I am using the com.dynatrace.agent:agent-android:8.239.1.1002  dependency in the gradle build. The build.gradle configuration looks like

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 12.03.24 PM.png

4 REPLIES 4

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Unfortunately, Jetpack compose is not (yet) supported for auto-instrumentation. you can vote for the product idee.  You must instrument your application manually at the moment by using the SDK.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

rspeakman
Visitor

Thank you for the information. One follow up question regarding the manual instrumentation approach. How do the UserPrivacyOptions work for manual instrumentation? For example if I set the DataCollection level to OFF, will manual instrumentation honor that?

@rspeakman wrote:

Thank you for the information. One follow up question regarding the manual instrumentation approach. How do the UserPrivacyOptions work for manual instrumentation? For example if I set the DataCollection level to OFF, will manual instrumentation honor that?

Yes, the agent will discard all generated monitoring data regardless if it is monitored manually or by auto-instrumentation.

Thomas_Wirth1
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Auto-instrumentation support for Jetpack Compose was added with version 8.263

Featured Posts